How to numb the pain of climbing

AlunP
AlunP Posts: 106
What do you think about when climbing big hills?

As Joe Simpson lay dying at the bottom of a crevasse with a broken leg, a Boney M song came to mind. At a rather easier level I need a (drug free) way of numbing the burning pain you get as you grind up a big hill. Having done a few of these recently in preparation for a cross USA ride I find singing daft dittys in my head helps. Recent favourites have included Monty Python's Philosophers' Song. And when you are on the flat on a quiet road it's possible to rework the tune. It's strange what keeps you occupied on a solitary 50 miler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQycQ8DABvc&feature=related

all together now...

More in the news about the PIGS
who are not financially stable
this wasn’t part of the Euro plan
when they all got round the table.
A single money would be rather funny
but would see Europe converge
And who would have thought some member states
would go on a spending splurge?

Now Socrates himself would be the first one to admit
Ditching the escudo has left ‘em in the sh*t.

John Meynard Keynes taught the Dane
joining the Euro would cause pain
but Herr Kohl, they say, wanted a way
of not changing money on his holiday
Tony Blair Tony Blair tried to ditch the pound
but he was stopped by Gordon Brown
and the Irish boom has turned to bust
their banks have all closed down.

Zapatero too would ruefully admit
Ditching the peseta has left ‘em in the sh*t.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I quite enjoy hills, to be honest. Went out and did a couple tonight after work, lovely. In fact the best thing about hills is that I forget all about the office as I have more pressing things to think about.

Not sure I could learn that song, take me longer than doing a decent climb :wink:
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    If I had to listen to that song I think I'd just throw the bike in the hedge and walk back home! :wink:

Like Bobbinogs, I like hills and silence. I like to listen to my breathing and this concentrates my body much more then any song can do. Having worked in noisy factories, silence is truly golden to me.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • AlunP
    AlunP Posts: 106
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I quite enjoy hills, to be honest.

Cheltenham?

No hills round there! You should try the welsh mountains. That would get you singing..... :-)