Hatton to High Peak trail

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Myself and 4 mates are doing this: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/22187106 run out to the High Peak trail on Friday 29th April (Royal Wedding day)

The loop back is slightly longer and will total 100k (slightly over - 64.25 miles) if anyone wants to join in they are very much more than welcome

We're not quick, so it won't be any kind of record breaking attempt, just a pootle out to the Peaks and back.

If anyone wants to get their 100k badge, this is a great way of doing it, and the countryside roads are all quiet, plus given the day I'm hoping it will be even quieter than usual.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Royal Wedding Day is gonna be a bumper day for being out & about I'd have thought. Nationally about 17 people plan to watch the nuptials.

I did try to have a look at the route but the company I work for has a pretty duff approach to personal web use what with traffic shaping & filtering, so the route never loads. I blame the techies personally. Grumble mutter.
  • Kieran_Burns
    It's going to be either the Friday or the Saturday whichever way, but the route profile makes it looks horrible - but really it's not.

(part of the route was the Fat Boy ride we did a while back - which includes a 2 mile fast downhill :D )
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Is it horrible gnarly MTB stuff or could the Cube do it ? Note I say the Cube not me :D
  • Kieran_Burns
    Light tral - there's one guy doing it on a Cube Road bike

The Tissington Trail is as easy on tyres / wheels as any 'off-road' can be. The best thing about the route is you get to basically go downhill the whole way back :)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Jay dubbleU

The Tissington Trail is as easy on tyres / wheels as any 'off-road' can be. The best thing about the route is you get to basically go downhill the whole way back :)

I can do that 8)
  • Kieran_Burns

I can do that 8)

I feel honour bound to add "apart from the cow of a climb out of Ashbourne" :oops:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • CiB
    cow
    No. Absolute chuffing snotter of a climb, esp with an artic all over your back wheel and nowhere to go due to the big wall on the left and no footpath.
  • Kieran_Burns
    CiB wrote:
    cow
    No. Absolute chuffing snotter of a climb, esp with an artic all over your back wheel and nowhere to go due to the big wall on the left and no footpath.

Wrong side - you mean the climb out northbound to Fenny Bentley and Buxton - this one is on the southside.

You're talking about this which is a nightmare piece of road to cycle on

(I do remember mentioning this to you when you said you were going that way :wink: - the Trail would bring you out 4 miles South of Buxton with no noticeable climb involved)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • CiB
    I did the first time but the two occasions since I've just gone for the direct route, straight out of Ashbourne on to Buxton, via that cafe at Moneyash for a break.

Enjoy the ride.
  • Jay dubbleU
    That doesn't look too bad - reasonably steady and at least its on quiet roads - just trying to convince myself here :wink:
  • Kieran_Burns
    It really IS a lovely ride - the roads are all (bar one) very quiet country roads and the group won't be quick.

The trail is good quality and rises very gently on the way out, barely enough for you to notice, but allows you to give it some on the way back down if you want to :)

Plus you get to ride out into the Peaks, stop for Ice Cream in a stunningly beautiful village, have a bite to eat with a great view AND get the 100k badge.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Jay dubbleU
    It really IS a lovely ride - the roads are all (bar one) very quiet country roads and the group won't be quick.

The trail is good quality and rises very gently on the way out, barely enough for you to notice, but allows you to give it some on the way back down if you want to :)

Plus you get to ride out into the Peaks, stop for Ice Cream in a stunningly beautiful village, have a bite to eat with a great view AND get the 100k badge.

SOLD!! - pm me with start time and place
  • Kieran_Burns
    Will do :D

Jay - you did the fat boy ride yeah? The route is basically the same up to the village after the second proper hill (where we turned right and went downhill for 2 miles)

Basically this one is the same to there but just goes straight on (for 20 odd miles!) then comes back and takes that same road down the long hill back (then rather than turn left after the Buddhist monastery we go straight on)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Jay dubbleU
    Sounds good - this time I've got a bike that I don't need to pedal downhill :)
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    Would love to do it, unfortunately will be on holiday
  • Kieran_Burns
    Good God,

We have one casualty already :cry:

My mate who broke both his wrists after being left hooked has had both his bikes nicked from his garage.

and because he was short of cash - he'd cancelled his House Insurance back in December

I feel bad for him, but also because I was going to take his main bike to mine and fettle it back to running condition as a favour and didn't. :cry::cry::cry:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X