Grandfather's axe

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
You know the old chestnut about the Grandfather’s axe? (and, if I recall correctly Trigger’s broom) As in it’s had three replacement handles and two new heads but it’s still going strong?

Well I did an inventory of my bike last night, and bar the frame, rims, seat-post (soon to be changed), belt and crank (modified) there isn’t a single original component on my sub two year old bike. If I gave my parts box a really good shake and turned it upside down another bike would drop out!

So far I’ve changed;

Hubs
Skewers
Spokes
Forks
Sprockets
Pedals (twice)
Cages
Tyres
Brake(s)
Cable(s)
Lever(s)
Stem
Bars (twice)
Grips (twice)
Saddle
Seat-post clamp

And the frightening thing is that only the pedals were replaced because they broke – everything else was voluntary…….is there a name for this terrible affliction?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    That's pretty scary. So far I've replaced:

Wheels (i.e. rims, spokes & hubs)
    Large chain ring
    Rear cassette (twice)
    Chian (twice)
    BB
    Bar tape
    Tyres (twice)
    All cables
    Lots of brake blocks
    Saddle, though the original was rubbish so changed it immediately

Still original are frame + forks, brake mechs + leavers + shifters, all gear mechs, bar, seat post, cranks.

Currently planning on replacing the frame and moving the kit over. I'll probably replace the casette and chain again as part of that
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    SimonAH wrote:
    You know the old chestnut about the Grandfather’s axe? (and, if I recall correctly Trigger’s broom) As in it’s had three replacement handles and two new heads but it’s still going strong?

You aren't even trying. My Trek MTB has the following parts unmodified from the original purchase:

1. Handlebars/Stem
    2. Brake levers
    3. Seatpost
    4. Front wheel.
    5. Rear wheel hub
    6. Rear derailleur
    7. Crank

Every other part (including the frame) has been replaced at least once. :D

Mike
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,393
    SimonAH wrote:
    ….is there a name for this terrible affliction?

Too much spare cash?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • In the year since I bought the Orbea, I have replaced everything except the seat post and the cable guide.

I have a new seat-post on order. :oops:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I did that on my first road bike. It was a graphite-grey peugoet elan. It was upgraded piece by piece. Eventually the frame broke so I upgraded that, too. :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    SimonAH wrote:

Well I did an inventory of my bike last night, and bar the frame, rims, seat-post (soon to be changed), belt and crank (modified) there isn’t a single original component on my sub two year old bike. If I gave my parts box a really good shake and turned it upside down another bike would drop out!

So far I’ve changed;

Hubs
    Skewers
    Spokes
    Forks
    Sprockets
    Pedals (twice)
    Cages
    Tyres
    Brake(s)
    Cable(s)
    Lever(s)
    Stem
    Bars (twice)
    Grips (twice)
    Saddle
    Seat-post clamp

And the frightening thing is that only the pedals were replaced because they broke – everything else was voluntary…….is there a name for this terrible affliction?

Think you bought the wrong bike :D
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    SimonAH wrote:
    You know the old chestnut about the Grandfather’s axe? (and, if I recall correctly Trigger’s broom)

That joke was centuries old already before an unfunny 80s sitcom pinched it!

My MTB (2 years old) and Dawes tourer (20 years old) have probably racked up 13000 miles between them so far.

Aside from cables, tyres and pads (ie consumables), the MTB has had a new BB to replace the crap one supplied and two cassettes. The seat post on the MTB is looking scruffy though so I think I'll treat it to a coat of paint.

The Dawes has had new wheels, a new cassette, two out of three new chainrings and new second hand downtube shifters (though only because the bolt broke rather than the shifter itself - needed the shifters to get the bolt!).

I just replace things when they wear out though.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • On my MTB/commuter the frame, fork, headset, cranks and 2 chainrings are original. everything else has been replaced (almost exclusively because it needed to be).

Admittedly it is about 17 years old.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    My MTB still has the original frame and seat post clamp.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    easier for me to say what's original on the main commuter;

just the handlebars and seat post, although I was looking at changing the former. as they seem to be bent, the chrome is pitted and rust is coming through
  • My brothers MTB has the original rear shock, front triangle and levers.
    Every single other component including the rear triangle has been replaced.

I can't play this game myself as not one of my bikes was purchased as a fully built up bike.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    Rolf F wrote:

I just replace things when they wear out though.

Here is the scary part. On my MTB the only parts that were replaced to upgrade original parts were the front fork and rear shock. In all other cases the reason for replacement was either catastrophic failure (dealt with under warranty) or things wearing out. :shock:

Mike
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    my Scott hardtail, only the frame and stem is original (it is from 1996 though)
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    mudcow007 wrote:
    my Scott hardtail, only the frame and stem is original (it is from 1996 though)

same for the hybrid that is my normal steed
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    seat and post, and a headset spacer :S
    i ride a hardtail
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The winter hack/utility bike still has

frame
    front mech
    left shifter

as original parts. Scarily, most of the replaced parts broke (I bought it at the beginning of 2008).

The roadie is doing a bit better though? It still has

Rear mech
    Front mech
    Frame
    Front brake
    Rear brake (I'm not counting them as just 'brakes' as it makes me look like I have less of a case of upgradeitis)
    Front left brake block
    Front right brake block
    Rear left brake block
    Rear right brake block (ok, now I'm taking the piss)
    Fork
    Headset
    Seatpost clamp
    Crankset
    Shifters

but soon a lot of it will be moved over to the new frame, accompanying yet more new parts...sigh.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    In order of replacement

Brake Blocks
    Front Tyre
    Both Wheels
    Cassette
    Chain
    Rear Tyre
    Cables
    Saddle
    Seat Post
    Front Tyre
    Rear Tyre
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    Hmmm.
    Main bike; all original, except inner tubes (probably needs some drivetrain TLC though)

Singlespeed; frame, seatpost, stem, headset, wheels & tyres original, all else new/donor parts
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    I have just lovingly restored an old 2010 Kona Smoke. It's getting on a bit now, nearly 8 months old. I managed to salvage the:

Frame
    Forks
    Headset
    Seatpost
    Saddle
    and Stem

Everything else had to be replaced as it was too worn out to be saved.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    To some of you:- your poor, poor suffering bikes :lol:

(stop tormenting them - they have souls you know!)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    AndyOgy wrote:
    I have just lovingly restored an old 2010 Kona Smoke. It's getting on a bit now, nearly 8 months old. I managed to salvage the:

Frame
    Forks
    Headset
    Seatpost
    Saddle
    and Stem

Everything else had to be replaced as it was too worn out to be saved.

A 2010 Kona Smoke? What have you been doing to the poor thing?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    My MTB (circa 2001) has had:

Wheels
    Brakes
    Stem

replaced. Also the chain/cassette/chainrings but those hardly count. Everything else is original. I need new cranks though. Well, technically I need a new BB, but I might as well upgrade to a shiny external bearing BB and that entails new cranks - also the old cranks will be donated to the in-progress single speed frankenbike so technically the cost of the new cranks is reduced by the cost of the cheap cranks I would have had to buy for the SS. Or such is my justification.

I tend to think that frame replacement is the point at which it becomes a "new bike".

My road bike I've owned less than a month. Pondering some upgraded brake pads though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My Gryphon has the following original parts on the frame.

Errr, that will be nothing at all, but I'm cheating as I built it up from a bare frame, however since I FIRST built it I've replaced
    Chainwheel
    Stem
    Brake levers
    Saddle
    Rear Mech (twice)
    Cassette
    Front mech (chain guide only)
    Front brake calliper (three times)
    Brake discs
    Rear brake calliper (twice)
    Rear wheel
    rack
    BB
    Cranks
    Rear shifter
    Gear cables
    Grips
    BB cable guide

Nothing was actaully broken!
    Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Normally I change a few things(saddle, grips, pedals etc) but I've changed nothing on the Cube
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    The ONLY parts of my old bike that are original are the down-tube-mounted gear levers. Everything else has been replaced several times. Even the frame has been replaced once.
    This post contains traces of nuts.