The Elenith

dead sheep
dead sheep Posts: 109
Is anyone here riding this 300km extravaganza on Saturday? The weather forecast is fantastic.

Comments

• AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Sadly not. Did it a few years ago, awesome awesome awesome. Next year perhaps.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Stanley am looking forward to it
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Really looking forward to it very much now. First time at it and rather pleased that hail, sleet and snow look unlikely this time (jinxed us now).

Slight worries with one of my knees having a twinge from The Dean 300 a couple of weeks ago - but vitamin I will get me through I am sure.

Of all the rides planned for this season (including the possibility of doing The French Ride) I am looking forward to this one the most having seen the photos of the countryside we'll be riding through.

See you on the start line!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Fantastic weather on the Elenith
    Photos including some of the stunning scenery here on the blog

http://audaxing.wordpress.com/2011/04/1 ... km-photos/
  • vorsprung wrote:

Great blog and some nice pics.

I think it may have been you I saw arrive at Rhayader at around 5pm with handlebar mountain cam (ingenious I thought) . I was propped up against a bike outside the control. Sadly for me, this was my first ever DNF on an audax after falling victim to a stomach upset and no ounce of energy left to turn a peddle. Fortunately my rescue service was soon to arrive.

There are other great accounts of this event over at the YACF forum which illustrate the pain and joy experienced by a few of the many riders who entered this legendary event.

I hope the rumours of this event being the last are unfounded. It would be a great loss on the AUK calendar. Whatever the case, a huge thanks is due to Dave and his team for their work over many years in delivering this event.
  • vorsprung wrote:

Great blog and some nice pics.

Vorsprung, I think it may have been you I saw arrive at Rhayader at around 5pm with handlebar mountain cam (ingenious I thought) . I was propped up against a bike outside the control whilst waiting for a rescue. Sadly for me, this was my first ever DNF on an audax after falling victim to a stomach upset and no ounce of energy left to turn a peddle.

There are other great accounts of this event over at the YACF forum which illustrate the pain and joy experienced by a few of the many riders who entered this legendary event.

I hope the rumours of this event being the last are unfounded. It would be a great loss on the AUK calendar. Whatever the case, a huge thanks is due to Dave and his team for their work over many years in delivering this event.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Sorry to hear about your DNF Philip - tough break.

One of the best days out I have ever had on a bike - amazing ride. Enjoyed every minute of it despite some pretty serious pain with my knees.

Now I've ridden it once, I really do hope it's not the last as I will be back to ride this one. Particularly as I feel short-changed - I was promised horrendous weather battling over the mountain passes and there was not even a drop of snow.......how can I possibly reminisce to future grandchildren about this ride if I only ever get to ride it the once in near perfect conditions?

Vorsprung - sorry to not have met you - you were obviously right behind me at the start (that's me on the left of your first picture).

Brilliant, brilliant day worth every bit of pain and effort.