Dahon Cadenza P18 2011 Folding Bike

VespaTrek
VespaTrek Posts: 72
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Thinking of getting one of these to change my commute. On sale at Evans for £600 from £850 which seems pretty good and any reviews that I find seem positive. If anyone has any thoughts or views on this bike or an alternative then please advise! Thanks...
Vespa GTS 300 most days... Trek 7.7FX the rest

Comments

• flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    I had one.

The joints in the top tube and downtube got loose.

When I googled this, I was not alone.

I sold it.

Soz.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    What is your commute like and why do you specifically want a folder?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • VespaTrek
    22 miles each way; no facilities at work; would like to do part bike/part train (ie 4 miles/18 miles respectively) in the morning, and cycle home. Also be able to get the train home if need to be quicker some evenings, and couldn't wait til post 7pm to be able to get a 'normal' bike on.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Mate - a lot of the train cos won't let you take on folders with wheels larger than 20" these days. If you're looking at a proper folder, genuinely some of the smaller wheeled Dahons are up to it (thinking specifically of the MuSL), but you are going to run a risk with the full size bikes at peak times.

If "quickness" of fold isn't a problem then the Airnimals are meant to be very good (but are more expensive I think).

Servicing them isn't really a problem now (I think) - Fudges are pretty good with their Dahons.
  • I've been using a Brompton for a couple of months now and would recommend them. You can get the three geared varieties for about £700 at the minute for the 2010 model (which seems to be exactly the same as the 2011 model give or take that in 2011 you have more colour options).
  • VespaTrek
    doesnt seem to be an issue with SW Trains, see plenty of mtb type folders on there at peak times...
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    mroli wrote:
    Mate - a lot of the train cos won't let you take on folders with wheels larger than 20" these days. If you're looking at a proper folder, genuinely some of the smaller wheeled Dahons are up to it (thinking specifically of the MuSL), but you are going to run a risk with the full size bikes at peak times.

If "quickness" of fold isn't a problem then the Airnimals are meant to be very good (but are more expensive I think).

Servicing them isn't really a problem now (I think) - Fudges are pretty good with their Dahons.

+1 to all the above. It's not going to meet most, if any, train companies' definition of a folder. My LBS isn't a Dahon dealer but has had no problems maintaining it.
    My Cadenza is my usual commuter. One of the hinges needed replacing (a recurring theme I think!), but since then it's been no bother whatsoever, just usual wear and tear. Rides very well, goes well despite the weight..
    Fudges have 2010 Mu SLs at £599 at the mo. That's a better bet. Might get one myself...
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011