rear wheel killing tubes

shouldbeinbed
shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
My back tyre spontaneously went down just before i got to work yesterday. to make a short story of it. I've checked the rim and tyre thoroughly for rim burrs, sharp bits in the tyre, damage to the rim tape,protruding spokes etc but theres nothing. I've picked out the little bits of debris from the tyre surface and checked its integrity - Vittoria Radonneur - and nothing has got through it

4 x tubes, 2 brand new & 2 x patched but inflated to test their soundness have deflated on it in 24 hours, no snakebite punctures. one of the new ones had a hole on a seam so I suspect it may have been faulty but can't prove it. All in roughly the same place but there is nothing untoward at that bit of the rim and after the first couple I marked the tyre at the valve hole s I could check inside at the puncture point and that looks & feels fine too. edge to edge, theres no wire protruding at the rim.

I'm bamboozled, any ideas what i've missed?

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    try a different tyre.... I had something similar and some wire was embedded in the tyre and couldn't feel it & I thought I'd take it all out. at high pressure it teased the tube flat

try that.

it was a really new tyre as well, rather annoying
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    move the tyre 'round the rim. Try again see whether the puncture point moves.

(Spot the IT techie... do this, try again - it's our standard response :lol: )
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    put the name of the tyre sticker thingy opposite the valve. when you get a flat you will be able to check which part of the tyre the puncture came from..

if that makes sense?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    move the tyre 'round the rim. Try again see whether the puncture point moves.

(Spot the IT techie... do this, try again - it's our standard response :lol: )
    Let it down & pump it back up again. Does it still happen...? :wink:

Check the rim tape for any rough / coarse / sharp edges. Mine had some; judicious use of tank tape in various places cured the mystery PF habit that my front wheel had developed.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I had a the same thing - went through four tubes and couldn't find anything obvious causing it - took off the rim tape - gave it a good clean out and "sticky outy thing" check, new rim tape, new tyre - not happened since . . .

The Bike Shop Boys said that sometimes you can get a shard of something small that lives in the tyre - not sticking out either side that only pops out when the tyre flexes and than retreats again . . . .
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • minardi
    minardi Posts: 64
    I had a similar problem on an mtb. It happened because under hard braking the tire would slide round relative to the rim taking the tube with it and cutting it where the valve met the tube. Kept getting cuts around the base of the valve.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    First work out whether its a tyre or rim problem, i.e . is the p*****re on the inside or the outside of the tyre.

I've had a small piece of glass lodged in a tyre, visible from neither side until the tyre flexed slightly, but if you know which area of the tyre you can sometimes spot it.

If its rim side i suggest re taping the rim
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Thanks all.

I suspected the tyre as the hole is in the side of the tube when inflated, I'd marked the tyre vs the tube valve by the last 2 P*'s and they were very close to one another but couldn't see or feel anything at all. I'll be trying a few different tyres on my day off tomorrow, then turning this one inside out with a magnifying glass to scour it for wee beasties. I could do with getting this one back in service as its the only slick one I've got for these rims at the mo & its a long time till payday. :cry:
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Had similar, found a small piece of metal wire in the tyre after the third flat in the same area.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • motopatter
    motopatter Posts: 179
    I once had 3 punctures in a row - turned out to be a small piece of glass imbedded in a knobbly that only pierced the tube when my weight was on the bike - I thought I was getting a new puncture every day as I fixed the hole and checked tyre and rim etc and next morning it was still up (fnarr fnarr :lol: ). I found the offending glass when I pumped up the tyre and heard the air escaping through the tyre. Thus found the shred of glass.
    Lining up your tyre with something like your valve helps so when you find a pucture in thetube you know where to look in the tyre

good luck
    wave your willy here !!!! :)
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Bits of wire are the worse for spotting. Had this myself, found offending item, removed, new tube, rode the bike for a few days, then another flat (when not being ridden) - investigated - other 'end' of wire had got the tube,