Beautiful morning

andyjr
andyjr Posts: 635
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Beautiful morning outside & perfect for a first ever commute into work. I feel good :D

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    here here.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    good ride in this morning but got absolutley soaked, it was that fine rain that soaks you through......
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Sorry to hear that Mudcow - I was just about to post to say absolutely agree! It makes all the wind and rain and cold of winter seem worth it!
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Sorry to hear that Mudcow - I was just about to post to say absolutely agree! It makes all the wind and rain and cold of winter seem worth it!
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    mudcow007 wrote:
    good ride in this morning but got absolutley soaked, it was that fine rain that soaks you through......

Fine rain? Garlic Bread? Went to see him at the O2 last week, fantastic!
  • mudcow007

how is he getting on?

last time i seen him was the "my mum needs a new bungalow" tour...still makes me laugh now
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Superb morning.... need to wear less.....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    mudcow007 wrote:

how is he getting on?

last time i seen him was the "my mum needs a new bungalow" tour...still makes me laugh now

This time it's 'The tour that doesn't tour, tour' :lol:

Lots on new material, great section with the tape player and what he thinks the words to the song are, and an awesome finally where he plays the shovel...you had to be there I think! :lol:
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    It was indeed beautiful, as was yesterday. Prompted me to don my shorts for the first time this spring and had a blast out on the tandem last night, although stayed in the pub a bit long and it was mighty dark on the trip home. I need a "country lane" front light.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Great morning, first morning commute with just a T on - great, arrived nice and cool!

Maybe go from 3/4's to shorts now as well.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Great morning, first morning commute with just a T on - great, arrived nice and cool!

Maybe go from 3/4's to shorts now as well.....

Simon

Shorts and short sleeved top, fingerless gloves and summer SPDs on last night. My 1st full warm weather commute 8)

Shame about the bloody hurricane I cycled through....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Sleeveless baselayer, armwarmers for the first 3 miles or so ss jersey and a light gilet did me, I could have ditched the gilet but not as easy with a ruck sack on and I was relunctant to stop as I felt good.
  • Very nice morning... first one without gloves :-)
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    First time I've bene sick for a hell of a long time. Been cycling through winter. As soon as the sun comes and I'm not up to riding.... this is a harsh world :(
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    rebs wrote:
    First time I've bene sick for a hell of a long time. Been cycling through winter. As soon as the sun comes and I'm not up to riding.... this is a harsh world :(

Same :(
  • Shorts SS and warmers a.m.
    No warmers p.m.
    Nice, but on the other hand I really enjoyed this last winter. I'm torn...

@andyjr - first ever commute? what kept you?
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Shorts, SS top, mitts and no shoe-covers. Lovely ride in this morning. :D

There's a lot of 'just in case' kit in the bag at the moment, though
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    JonGinge wrote:
    Shorts, SS top, mitts and no shoe-covers. Lovely ride in this morning. :D

There's a lot of 'just in case' kit in the bag at the moment, though

Yeah I have a full wardrode in my bag - overshoes, armwarmers, rain jacket, alpine long sleeve jersey, bib tights, cuddly toy, lights, long sleeve gloves, rain cover for the bag.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I was out for a few miles and a few hours yesterday. I knew the sun (and temperatures) would drop whilst I was out so I left in 3/4 tights and SS jersey, but carried arm warmers and a compression baselayer vest. Perfect.

If it was a strictly daytime ride, it would have just been shorts and SS jersey.

JZed, overshoes? Really? Stopped using mine as soon as the snow melted.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    JZed, overshoes? Really? Stopped using mine as soon as the snow melted.

Yeah - only just taken them off - more aero innit and keeps the wind out and hides the bright fluroescent shoes I'm wearing* bit like a pink bike covered in black tape.

*not really pink
  • andyjr
    andyjr Posts: 635
    Shorts SS and warmers a.m.
    No warmers p.m.
    Nice, but on the other hand I really enjoyed this last winter. I'm torn...

@andyjr - first ever commute? what kept you?

Only bought the bike about 2 months ago. Still getting used to it. Just need to sort out some shoes for my peddles & all will be well, til I fall off :)
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    nich wrote:
    rebs wrote:

Same :(

I missed yesterday due a stomch bug thing but this morning was great
  • Lovely, lovely day. My first really good one too - the winter start was soooo worth it!
  • mudcow007
    just got into work, the weathe ris fabulous today here (check out the grand national i work around the corner from there)

the weather is that nice i took route into work, instead of the usual 6 miles today was 11
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Monday: Cycle in horrible headwind. Check
    Tuesday: Train. Check
    Wednesday: Food poisoning and on my deathbed. Check
    Thursday: Food poisoning and on my deathbed. Check
    Friday: Cycle in gorgeous sun and little wind. WoohoOoo fricken Check! :)

Feeling weak still though, but good to be back on it.
  • Kieran_Burns
    8C when I left this morning, but I still chose short-sleeved top, shorts and fingerless gloves.

Started to question this decision within 5 minutes but after 10 I was nicley warmed up and cruising along VERY happily.

Although I did get an odd look off a guy cycling the other way in tights, full gloves, jacket etc :D
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,636
    8C when I left this morning, but I still chose short-sleeved top, shorts and fingerless gloves.

Started to question this decision within 5 minutes but after 10 I was nicley warmed up and cruising along VERY happily.

Although I did get an odd look off a guy cycling the other way in tights, full gloves, jacket etc :D

Same, it was a cold first few minutes in the shade! Very nice after about 15 though.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    Fantastic here too. 17 miles through rolling countryside lit with that gorgeous, golden early morning sun. Last couple of miles through shared cycle/moped paths and managed to scalp a moped (albeit slightly gravity assisted...). Morning commutes don't really get any better! Even the suicidal squirrel turned and ran away when mere inches away from going under my front wheel...

_

P.S. Went with shorts and short fingered gloves but stuck with long sleeves and a gillet
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363

8C, luxury was only 5C when I left. regretted the fingerless gloves for a bit but soon warmed up.

Temptation to have a duvet day and just keep going was strong
  • Kieran_Burns
    Big Wib wrote:

8C, luxury was only 5C when I left. regretted the fingerless gloves for a bit but soon warmed up.

Temptation to have a duvet day and just keep going was strong

Yeah - I've seen what warmed you up in the Anti-Rants thread :lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X