SLX 10 speed front mech problems !!!

phonic73
phonic73 Posts: 60
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
just fitted new bike together with slx 10 speed groupset. Came to fitting the front mech no prob, but now when shifting from small to middle it just jumps to big and misses out middle, same when shifting back to small ring, it's like there's way too much movement in the front mech.
If I try slight less cable tension it just won't shift up at all. Wondered if either shifter is faulty, or the mech is.
I've fitted and repaired many of my bikes over the last 20 years so am no stranger to it, but this ones got me baffled. All mech limiters are set ok, just as I have done on every bike.

Any ideas to what is the issue with it ?

Comments

• Matt 24k
    Matt 24k Posts: 186
    They do SLX front mechs in double or triple versions.
    EG: "Shimano SLX M665 Front Derailleur for Double Chainset
    Double specific SLX mountain bike front derailleur, multi-fit, dual pull and top swing, designed to perform with a 36 x 22T compact drive crankset. Double specific compact front derailleur."
    I wonder if you ahve been supplied a double version?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    is the wire connected correctly?

pics?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    With Nick, that sounds a classic cable inside the pinch bot not outside, shortening the arm so increasing the rotation for a given amount of cable pull.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • phonic73
    phonic73 Posts: 60
    Heres two pics, I wonder if is the cable route that's causing it,, it just seems to over shift when going from big to little ring missing out middle and vice versa, yet I've seen other bikes with this cable routing out to the side
    ]
    fc7c636f.png
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    Matt 24k wrote:
    They do SLX front mechs in double or triple versions.
    EG: "Shimano SLX M665 Front Derailleur for Double Chainset
    Double specific SLX mountain bike front derailleur, multi-fit, dual pull and top swing, designed to perform with a 36 x 22T compact drive crankset. Double specific compact front derailleur."
    I wonder if you ahve been supplied a double version?
    It still wouldnt double shift thou as even if he had a double it would only shift granny and middle ring .
  • nicklouse
    phonic73 wrote:
    Heres two pics, I wonder if is the cable route that's causing it,, it just seems to over shift when going from big to little ring missing out middle and vice versa, yet I've seen other bikes with this cable routing out to the side
    ]
    fc7c636f.png

yes the cable is on the wrong side of the bolt.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • MapleLeaf
    MapleLeaf Posts: 22
    Hi,

I feel the need to resurrect this thread as I am also experiencing real difficulties setting up an SLX 10-speed FD (M661). The derailleur is the same as shown in this thread and, as per this thread, I have ensured that the cable is routed and clamped as has been discussed. I have also gone through the set-up instructions as per Shimano's documentation, i.e. initial alignment, etc. I've tried a couple of times adjust the height at initial alignment but to no avail. The main symptoms are;

1. Very stiff operation when changing up from small chainring to large and, in fact my thumb is now very sore through trying to set it up!
    2. Difficult to get the chain from medium to large, and the indicator never actually clicks to show top position.
    3. When releasing, the derailleur takes the chain from the largest to the smallest in one movement, with quite a clunk.

Any help would be greatly received.

Mark.
  • nicklouse
    sounds like set up issues. stops wrong and tension too high.

start again with the stops wound out and see how it shifts.

then start from the beginning with the set up procedure.
  • MapleLeaf
    MapleLeaf Posts: 22
    OK thanks, I'll try again. How would I ensure there's not too much tension then?
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Also make sure your cables are clean and lubed
  • masterdooh
    masterdooh Posts: 109
    Once again resurrecting and old thread

I had my bike setup as per the photo above, if I was to move the cable to the other side of the bolt wouldn't the bolt be rotating in the wrong direction
  • nicklouse
    no. you would have the correct pull ratio.

as above the mech arm is not pulled enough.

Look at the arm there is a grove for the wire to sit. there and as there is a washer there is no force on the bolt.
  • masterdooh
    Hmmm ok but it would make more sense to bring the cable outside the housing then underneath the bolt in a clockwise direction that would follow groove as well.
  • masterdooh
    Ok its routed as I thought following the rotation of the bolt with the cable end finishing horizontal to the down tube. I can provide photos if anyone wants, as soon as I changed the cable to this the shifting was almost spot on