Tubeless Help

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
So I finally took the plunge and went tubeless.

Fitted Nobby Nic Tubeless Ready tyres to Flow Rims using the 25mm Yellow tape and 125ml of sealant per tyre. I followed the instructions on the Stans Site, and both tyres seated first time.

However...

Whilst the rear is fine and maintaining a steady pressure around 35psi, the front seems to lose air fairly quickly (lost 20psi overnight)

There are no leaks that I can see, no sealant leaving the tyre or the rim. I'm stumped!

What am I missing?

Comments

• Hmmm, I'd not thought of that. I might test that tonight actually.

Ta
  • my first guess would be the valve. after that try checking that the yellow tape is fitted properly and doesn't have an edges that are peeling up or anything. did you install a tube in the tyre over night after you fitted the yellow tape to help it settle down a bit? i found that helped quite alot when I went tubeless with my flow rims.

also are you doing the whole soapy water thing on the tyre/wheel to check for air leeks? don't skimp out on the washing up liquid, i used about 2 parts water to 1 part fairly liquid. just a small amount in a bowl and use a sponge to aply. that should help you find the leek.
  • I'm thinking (hoping) that it was just not quite sealed properly, because I've come back this morning and it's all at the same pressure I left it.

I'll keep my eye on it, and if it starts again, will try the above methods.

I think I'm probably just a bit paranoid with it being something new. :lol:
  • DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    When I first went tubeless one tyre did drop in pressure quite a bit the first night, pumped up again and it seemed to finally seal itself.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Most problems I've had are when the tape hasn't stuck down right. I now put the tape on an etched rim, fit the tyre and inner tube, inflate and leave over night to ensure the tape is firmly pushed into place. Remove inner tube, fit valve and inflate. deflate again before adding sealant through valve, inflate, shake about and job done.
    I add the sealant last as I had a Panaracer tyre pop of the rim whilst inflating and covering everything in the stuff which takes a while to clean up.
  • DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    Inner tube on tape does make a massive difference.