Wilier Escape v CAAD 8 Tiagra

saltydog
saltydog Posts: 36
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
I am down to two bikes in the sub 1000 category and cant make up my mind I have looked at everything from Bianchi via nirone , cube aerial, Spesh but keep coming back to these two

i like the Wilier for the campag bit although the xenon is a little "plastiky" but like the slightly lighter CAAD 8 with tiagra

which would be the better option to upgrade as i go??
Willier Triestina
Spesh (winter)

Comments

• I have a 2010 Cannondale, and haven't ridden the Wilier so my opinion is definitely skewed.

Having said that, I'm a huge fan of the CAAD8- feels very responsive and comfort isn't bad either. It responds well when you really push it, and the handling is predictable and planted. The front end is good and stiff- the tradeoff of which is that you'll feel bumps through the bars, despite the carbon forks. I like this, but you may not.

A couple of caveats: stock tyres will need replacing (which tends to be universal at this price point), and I find a triple chainset to be overkill, but that's a personal preference.

In terms of upgrading, I think that CAAD frame is an excellent starting point. It would definitely benefit from lighter/stiffer wheels, and whilst the tiagra groupset works perfectly, I'm seriously considering something a bit fancier.

Hope this helps, and let us know what you decide.
  • saltydog
    Thank you for that reply, my head says CAAD 8 but my heart ( being part Italian) is edging toward the Wilier I am off today with crdit card clutched to my chest a purchase is in the offing I will let you know the outcome again thank you for the reply
    Willier Triestina
    Spesh (winter)
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    saltydog wrote:
    Thank you for that reply, my head says CAAD 8 but my heart ( being part Italian) is edging toward the Wilier I am off today with crdit card clutched to my chest a purchase is in the offing I will let you know the outcome again thank you for the reply

I have the Escape but with a Veloce groupset and better wheels as opposed to the Xenon. It fits me, it goes well, it's sexy as hell.

Have you ridden them both? Which fitted better?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • saltydog wrote:

You should pick the one you want more.

You can research these bikes to death, but at the end of the day they're both great, and you'll get used to whichever groupset you end up with. The one that makes you go "phwoar" is the right one to get.

Good luck with your purchase!
  • saltydog
    the Willier made me go Phwoarr Not the escape I was looking at but the La Tiestina at only £250 more is by far the better bike Thanks for the advice now just where are those hills??
    Willier Triestina
    Spesh (winter)