Lapierre Zesty 512 10' shock mounting bolt

lugsey2k5
lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello
Just went to fit my rear shock thats back from a superb free warranty service from MOJO. As i unscrewed the front shock mounting bolt it was tight and i remember it being tight to remove when i took the shock off last week. It got half way out and then took half the threads with it. The thread looks to be an insert into the frame similar to a helicoil (http://sellerby.com/good_7588_457364805 ... INSERT.htm)

This is the first time the shock has been removed apart from possibly once when it was in the shop but cant be sure.
The shop is contacting Lapierre tomorrow about this but just wondering what you guys think? will upload pictures once i create an account some were.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    an over tightened bolt?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lugsey2k5
    Not sure. Unless on original build at the factory or if the shop removed it when they did the rear shock bushes (if they changed front and back). Thats the only time its been off.
  • lugsey2k5
    1302107468176.jpg

1302107497170.jpg
  • nicklouse
    hard to tell at that size but looks like it has been over tightened and the threads have been pulled out.

and the bolt threads look fubared as well
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • lugsey2k5
    Yer. Hard part is proving it wasn't me. I am also really not looking forward to having to send it off. I have access to helicoil kits but odds are lapierre will have to do it for it to be a warranty fix.

This is 3rd warranty claim in a 3 weeks: first shock cavitated which Mojo fixed no problems, then XT wheel died and still waiting on madison on that now this. :(
  • pilsburypie
    pilsburypie Posts: 891
    Sorry to hear about your Zesty - is it a 2011 model. If so I have the same bike...... Just out of interest, what was the symptoms of cavitation in your shock?
  • lugsey2k5
    it was a 2010 bike and the shock made a squelching noise if it hadn't been compressed in the last 30 seconds
  • lugsey2k5
    Lapierre said no since it can't be proven I didn't do it. I'm going to try fitting a new helicoil tomorrow but if the threads it goes Into are dead I dunno. What to do? Any ideas?
  • nicklouse
    look at getting it drilled out and then run a bolt the whole way through and have a nut on the end.

what is the white bit attached to?

or is it part of the frame?
  • lugsey2k5
    Part of the frame. If I drill it out it will require a bigger bolt which won't fit threw the shock eyelets etc.
  • nicklouse
    well it could.

I would be on the phone or be going round some engineers shops as see what they can rustle up.

the "nut" could be machined from some Hex bar with a bit that fits into the drilled out part.

the reason I say this is that I dont like threads taking loads. like that.
  • lugsey2k5
    I see what you mean. Going to have a look once I get in if the thread is still intact ill put a new coil in. If not will try find somewhere that could make that. The smooth portion to fill the bigger hole would have to be very slim otherwise id have a go on a lathe myself
  • nicklouse
    i dont think it was helicoiled in the first place. I think you have just pulled the threads out.

check the "coil" with a magnet.
  • lugsey2k5
    Will do. If its just the standard thread it would be easy to fix with a new coil. I also suppose there is no reason I couldn't also drill the shock bushes to accomidate a larger bolt and use a nut on the end
  • lugsey2k5
    nope its steel so will be the helicoil. Its also taken the aluminium thread underneath it. Why have they used the helicoil in the first place? surely the coils only as strong as the material its threaded into. Any one know of a reason not to drill threw the whole thing including the shock bushes?
  • nicklouse
    often helicoils are fitted to an alloy part that may have things mounted and dismounted often as it gives a harder wearing thread surface. also as the helicoil is a bigger diameter it gives a stronger connection,

But situations like this is the main reason I hate Post mount forks and frames. :wink:
  • lugsey2k5
    Thanks. Makes sense.

Will re-tap it tomorrow and try a new coil and if that fails either get a nut made up with a smooth portion to sit in the frame. not sure if it will work due to the smell diameter of the hole. Or will drill whole thing same diameter.
  • lugsey2k5
    Sorted:) Uni only had a 1/4 helicoil so tried that and it sorta went in. I cut off the excess and tested with a new bolt. It works, due to the odd size of the threads its a tight fit but works until i can find a better solution such as the nut you mentioned nick.
    Cheers for your help Nick.
  • lugsey2k5
    Hello
    Does any one know were i can find a m6 bolt with the same type of head shown above? struggling to find one any were.
  • nicklouse
    like what? did you forget a picture.
  • lugsey2k5
    Sorry meant the one in the picture with the stripped threads above
  • nicklouse
    the one in the first post?

any bolt shop.

take it with you. and take note of any numbers on the head.
  • lugsey2k5
    cheers