Back Disc Brake Rubbing

Pommierogue
Pommierogue Posts: 55
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Having been out for a ride around Ladybower (first time, loved it!!) at weekend my bike was in need of a good clean. I took the wheels off and quick release apart and gave all a good clean.

However when I came to put the rear wheel back I don't seem able to mount it without it catching the pads. So much so that the wheel barely turns. There is good clearance between the pads without the wheel in place. Plenty for the disc to rotate freely. I thought I may have pressed the brake lever whilst wheel was out but this is not the case.

The wheel was turning freely before it was taken off for a clean. I find myself stumped!!!

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Dean

Comments

• WisePranker
    WisePranker Posts: 823
    What brakes are they?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    push the pads/pistons home. fit wheel re set pads.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for reponse. Genesis Core 20 with Shimano M575 brakes.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    If it's any help my mate's Bokor is like that. He has to put the back wheel in and then tighten the QR while applying the brake :)

Visually there's nothing wildly wrong with it, it's just a combination of manufacturing tolerances that prevent the wheel/frame/brake lining up as accurately as they should.

With the wheel in place, you could always try loosening the caliper mounting bolts and then re-tightening them with the brake applied
  • Thread Highjack.

But front brakes rubbing.

I'm quite proficient in setting up hydraulic disc brakes but lately i cant seem to set them without them binding a little on each rotation.
    I have a new bike, its only been out a handful of times, under 100 miles.

I've had the calipers off, cleaned them, cleaned the discs, pushed in the pistons, lightly sanded the pads with fine grade sandpaper, checked the wheels sat correctly in the drop outs, re set the caliper and pads by pumping the brake and tightly holding it whilst tightening the caliper for correct alignment.

I've done all this a number of times but yet they still catch on each rotation of the wheel. Its not enough to slow the bike when ridden but is enough to stop the wheel when spinning it by hand, Also since my i started fetling they now squeel like a whore... probably.

Any suggestions what i'm doing wrong?

The only thing i can think of is that the discs warped which would explain the rubbing on each rotation.
    Is this possible from wear-and-tear and heat alone? I've not wacked the discs?

Its annoying the hell out of me especially as the bikes virtually new. (bough of t'internet so can't be returned to shop 500+ miles away).

Any help much appreciated.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Under 100 miles you say? Hmm still relatively new and some things take a while to bed in. The recent spell of dry weather hasn't helped too much and dust always makes brakes noisy. You may find a ride in the rain works wonders.

Personally I would put some more miles on it and give the brakes something to think about with some hard use.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    As blitz said, realign rear caliper by loosening mounting bolts a couple of turns, apply rear brake to centre the caliper, then gently re-tighten the mounting bolts with brake still applied.

There are some good vid's on You Tube showing the process. It takes less than 2 minutes.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • But i've tried realigning the caliper numerous times with no joy :(

My hydraulic brakes automatically adjust/align the pads for optimum distance between pad and disc. Is there a way of increasing the distance between the pad and disc to obtain more clear space?
    If there is.
    Is it then possible to re-adjust the brake lever to obtain the same reach so when heaving the brake the lever it dosen't hit the handle bar?

I have Shimano M575 Hydraulic Discs (160mm)

Mucho thanks.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • zorg2000
    zorg2000 Posts: 6
    Probably not the answer you want to hear but I had the same issue with juicy 3's for 3 years. Never really found a solution that lasted for more than a few days. Worse when the weather was dry and lots of dust about.
    The rubbing wasnt enough to cause me to slow down but the sound did bug me. Also the wheels wouldnt spin totally when bike upside down.
    In the end I replaced the juicy 3s with BB7s. Never had an issue since as each pad can be adjusted seperately. So suspect the rubbing could be down to an innefective self adjusting mechanism.