10x1, how to do it

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
The Daughter is building a new MTB, using some bits from her current one, she'll be going 1x (with suitable chainguide) but is in 2 minds whether to stay 9 speed at the rear or take advantage of the wider gear spread of a 10 speed cassette, so what will she need?
Currently has 9 speed shifter (will obviously need a ten) XT rear mech (can she keep that?), 9 speed chain (10 required) is the front chainring different for 10 speed?

Sorry, but no real knowledge of 10 speed!

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Basically she needs chain, cassette, rear mech and shifter.

Chain ring will be fine.

She could use a road flat bar shifter with her current mech, but the 10 speed MTB ones are nicer.
  • "suitable chain guide"? Is this for the front chainring to stop it leaping off when dumping it into higher gears like my trainer bike does?
    If it is can you post up what make/price it is as I don't want to have to put the old front mech on just to keep the chain in place :x
    The 1x7 (36tx11/28) does this too easily despite having a reasonably centred chainline. I'd put the spacer to the outside of the cassette if I could but not possible without buying a fancy new set of spacers and a lockring for SS. This bike is mainly road/fast track use and the revoshifters allow this rapid change...(should i just change slower and let it catch up?)
    The 1x9 I use mainly off road doesn't have this problem as much somehow (32x11/32).
    I can see a 5 speed coming next.....Old Skool ya! 8)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    There are various offerings, if you just have a hardtail with external BB the Superstar £16 offering is great. If you need seat post mounted it's a bit more complicated. Paul Components do a good one.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    We are currently planning to run a bash in the outer location and an n-gear inner guide plate to sandwich the chain onto the chain ring, prettier than a front mech (which I run on my commuter as it happens)) or 'front mech style' like the superstar, and if your running a bash anyway then you may as well use it for dual purposes!

n-gear guide plate here http://www.n-gear.com/whatis.html (they are also 'cost effective')

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.