Buying a TT bike

derbygrimpeur
derbygrimpeur Posts: 822
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
I've not TT'd for about 11.5 years. Took up cycling again last year and only have a training bike at the moment but am getting more tempted by a TT bike (particularly as I also run and have done a couple of duathlons on the training bike).

I know advice on a TT bike will vary greatly depending on budget etc. but I'm just wondering where the best place to start looking is. Are there any online retailers that offer best value for money? I'm not looking top-of-range, nor bargain basement, but good value.

I live in Derby (hence the name) so am happy to buy relatively locally if it means getting a proper fitting bike/good setup. I saw PlanetX in Rotherham offer such service. Any good shops in Notts/Stoke/Brum/Sheff?

In reality, I'm probably not going to be buying just yet but want to get researching so I spend my money wisely.

Thanks

Comments

• Tucky
    Tucky Posts: 34
    I've just ordered the Stealth from Planet X online, looks a very good deal at the moment.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Planet-X or Ribble probably lead the field in terms of 'value' - getting your position right and therefore getting the right size frame is most critical - your flexibility, aerodynamic positioning and maintaining power output comfortably are all key.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Lots of online dealers are selling some old/last years stock plus don't discount secondhand lots of bargains on eBay and the tt forum, I brought my tt bike secondhand and the good thing is by the nature of tt bikes they are generally well looked after and low milage
  • I think my only concern with buying online is fit.

I'm currently using a Ribble winter bike and had looked at their TT bikes. I like the flexibility of their bike builder. The Stealth Pro was the bike I was looking at on Planet X so interesting to see someone on here has gone for one. Again, they seem to offer good flexibiltiy and I could pop up there for more of a personal touch I guess.

Had looked at ebay etc. but am a bit nervous about that for various reasons. A good deal can surely be found though I guess.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    I think my only concern with buying online is fit.

I'm currently using a Ribble winter bike and had looked at their TT bikes. I like the flexibility of their bike builder. The Stealth Pro was the bike I was looking at on Planet X so interesting to see someone on here has gone for one. Again, they seem to offer good flexibiltiy and I could pop up there for more of a personal touch I guess.

Had looked at ebay etc. but am a bit nervous about that for various reasons. A good deal can surely be found though I guess.

PX do offer a Retul bike fit - this sounds like your best option
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW Ribble and Planet-X both source their frames from XPA in China - you can buy these 'unbranded' frames on ebay or sellers like HongFu Bikes - plenty of other links and threads on this forum and others
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    http://www.bike-science.com/precision-b ... 5_354.html

These guys have a Derby branch (I've been there) and are linked to PX. They did offer a 1/2 price retul fitting if you bought your PX through them. I think you can go along for a free sizing session beforehand as well to make sure you buy the right size in the first place. The Stealth and Exocet look very good value at the moment.
  • cheers for your help