Thomas gets joint leadership at PR

2»

Comments

• pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Haven't posted here for a while, but after seeing the Ronde, I wanted to post how great it is to see Geraint Thomas up there in the toughest one-day classics.

Definitely deserves joint-leader status. Really impressive during the mini P-R stage of the TDF last year.

Was he really, though? Don't get me wrong, it was a good performance. He made sure he was well positioned and made the split. But then again, so did Hesjedal, Schleckette and Cuddles - not widely acknowledged as Roubaix material. FabCanc was doing the driving, with all the others sitting in. And it was Diet Roubaix really, with all the hard secteurs omitted.

That said, I like G and have been impressed with him this year, he has looked strong in support of others. But he isn't that young anymore and if has aspirations to step up, then now is the time.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    I haven't read all the above posts, but I can certainly say that along with Roger Hammond it definately adds to the watching that Thomas is a favourite of sorts.
    It would be truly amazing to have a British winner.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    How fast is Thomas in a sprint - faster than Flecha ? At times when he's led out Boasson Hagen he's looked very rapid which is why I was a bit disappointed Nuyens came round him the other week. He should be pretty comfortable with the finish in Roubaix if it comes down to that. I'm wondering if him and Flecha are both in the lead group with a few k to go which one sits and waits and which one (if any) goes for a long one.

Thomas looks like a fairly fast finisher (for a non sprinter). At Dwars he went far too early in the sprint against Nuyens, but he didn't really have much choice or they'd probably have been caught otherwise

Flecha is a pretty poor sprinter so he needs to arrive on his own to win. In the unlikely event of them both entering the velodrome in the lead group together i think they'd be better off getting Flecha to lead out GT.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    Flecha is a pretty poor sprinter so he needs to arrive on his own to win. In the unlikely event of them both entering the velodrome in the lead group together i think they'd be better off getting Flecha to lead out GT.

This is my pet bug bear, Flecha actually has a decent sprint, it's just he's compared to the likes of Boonen and Hushovd when talking about Classics contenders with a sprint.

When Flecha was at Fassa Bortolo he won the Giro del Lazio by outsprinting a group of 40 riders or so, and was known for being very rapid in a small group sprint.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    andyp wrote:

This is my pet bug bear, Flecha actually has a decent sprint, it's just he's compared to the likes of Boonen and Hushovd when talking about Classics contenders with a sprint.

When Flecha was at Fassa Bortolo he won the Giro del Lazio by outsprinting a group of 40 riders or so, and was known for being very rapid in a small group sprint.

You may be right, but the only sprinting that's relevant to him now is sprinting up against Boonen, Cancellara and the like.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Thomas hasn't been in the position of competing for top places in races regularly so far in his career. As a result I get the impression that tactically he probably still has quite a bit to learn. Last Sunday he was on the front far more than a lot of the other guys who placed in the top 10 and maybe did a little more chasing than some of the others. If he can get himself in the mix in multiple races over the course of this season the rider we see this time next year will probably be even better (even without any improvement in his actual power output).

Ian Stannard also seems to be developing nicely. Wouldn't it be great if, two or three seasons for now, we have two real contenders in the classics.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Hmm some interesting points.
    tactically has a lot to learn? Why is that he rides for the team as orderred to nothing to do with his tactics.
    Of course he would have finished higher last week had he not done so myuch work, but he did not do it out of being tactically naieve, thats called riding for the team.
    As for sprinting? yes of course he can sprint Henderson striggled to hold his wheel on leaduts a few times. If you can manage less than 4 minsfor a team pusruit you can sprint as that basically is a series of sprints.
    Problem last week was for last few miles he and Fletcha had to chase hard for long periods so not a lot left for finish so rolled in.
    Ih he has leader status and allowed to shelter more he will sprint at the end for sure and take some beating.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138

I think he's moved on a level from top 10 being amazing - if he comes into the velodrome in the lead group then I'd have that down as an amazing ride - a top 10 is pretty much what I'm expecting if he's allowed to ride for himself.

Agree we don't want to knock him if it doesn't come off though - he's clearly on the right lines whatever happens on Sunday.
    The question I have is, From the GB Track squad, then who is the better "Roadie". ? :?:
    My vote is Geraint as he has been around France a few times now. (Barloworld)
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • based on his performance on the pave stage of last years tour it's not suprising he's been identified as a protected rider tomorrow.