Senna, the movie

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
The only film I'm looking forward to this year and have been for fecking ages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrbJPsPtTyU
http://www.sennamovie.co.uk/

Started watching F1 in '96 but this still puts a lump in the throat.

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I gotta see that.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • PedalPedant
    PedalPedant Posts: 185
    I remember watching his last race in 1994. Even after Roland Ratzenberger's death the day before it just seemed impossible that Senna could be dead.

On a related note, the documentary "Grand Prix: The Killer Years" that was recently on BBC4 was both fascinating and shocking in equal measure, well worth a watch if you can find it*.

PP

* Sadly it's no longer available on iPlayer but I'm sure there's a torrent out there for it :wink:
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • I have not been to the cinema for literally years but I will definitely be at the very first screening of this near me.

I only bought a bike because I couldn't afford a Formula One car after all.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    iPete wrote:
    The only film I'm looking forward to this year and have been for fecking ages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrbJPsPtTyU
    http://www.sennamovie.co.uk/

Started watching F1 in '96 but this still puts a lump in the throat.

This will wet your appetite if you haven't seen it already :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMG8aupe2l4 (there's 5 parts)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I remember watching his last race in 1994. Even after Roland Ratzenberger's death the day before it just seemed impossible that Senna could be dead.
    I watched the practice when Roland died live, they even filmed the start of the CPR (not the best thing they ever did) I was watching the race, when Senna crashed and it was obvious something was wrong, I have to admit I couldn't watch any more.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    I was watching the 1994 race with my dad, I was 13 at the time. Still remember it vividly.
    Very sad day, A real loss to the world. Senna did lots for local kids and iirc he has a foundation he started.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I watched the tribute they had on Top Gear (I know, spit, spit :wink: ) and was gobsmacked at how he could handle a car.
    Puts todays "superstars" into pale comparison.

A longer version of that? Yes please!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • That was an unforgettable - for all the wrong reasons - weekend at Imola in 1994. Barrichello had a big one in a Jordan, and then there was Roland Ratzenberger (who often gets forgotten in light of what happened on race day so nice he has already been mentioned) who fatally went off in qualifying in the Simtek, and of course the Senna incident, which anyone watching will always remember, and praise must go to the BBC for using thier own feed once the severity of the situation was clear and not continue using the very graphic images from the host broadcaster. There was even a later incident when a Minardi (I think) lost a wheel in the pit-lane and injured some mechanics from a couple of other teams.

Senna was the benchmark of his time, operating at a different level to most of his comtempories but still with weaknesses (like any driver) that rivals such as Prost and Mansell would seek to exploit. People I know who worked with him still hold him in the highest esteem, and there is always that opening lap at Donington Park to remember.

Motorsport doesn't always come over well on TV or in film (Driven anybody?) - but from what I hear this has been done well and should be a further insight into a very complex character.

I'll stop waffling now...
    Chocolate makes your clothes shrink
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    I was at imola that awful week end as someone else said all the terrible bad luck arrived all at once the minardi did lose a wheel in the pit lane and put a couple of ferrari mechanics in hospital and a lotus bod fell off a ladder breaking his leg,i always went to the senna memorial when i went to imola in the following years
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Talking of RR - Anybody else read that apparently he had an Austrian flag in his car?

http://www.simonjones.co.uk/meanwhile/articles/1999/1999-may-01.html
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • tobermory
    In many ways he is the forgotten man who died that week end
  • ADonmall
    ADonmall Posts: 12
    He's not forgotten, not by the true fans, I respect every F1 (and other series) driver that risks their life for our entertainment. Senna was a great loss, but any driver is...

EDIT: cant wait for the movie
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Ah but the question is, do modern drivers risk their lives nowadays nearly as much?
    I wouldn't say that modern drivers are in half the danger that Senna was, I guess that's his legacy. Writing this immediately made me think of Robert Kubica, Hope his recovery is going well.

I loved Senna, saw him jump on Mansell's sidepod at Stowe corner in 92 (I think it was 92) He was incredible to watch, that Donnington Lap in a very much below par McLaren was sublime. Wish he hadn't taken Prost out in such a calculated way at Suzuka though.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    BUMP

Where the feck can I watch this in London!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Nope never rated him, dont care what kind of skill he had I have no time for rude arrogant people, Mansell all the way.

Very sad that he's not around though because no deserves to die like that.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    itboffin wrote:
    Nope never rated him, dont care what kind of skill he had I have no time for rude arrogant people, Mansell all the way.

WHAT!!!!???!!!

Senna was passionate and highly focused, but I've never heard him called rude or arrogant. Maybe you're confusing Senna with Schumacher?

I'll give you a hint on how to tell them apart, Even though he also deliberately crashed into other drivers and was a multiple world champion, Senna was the one that was universally liked.

It has been said that if Senna didn't die and went on to have a long career like Schumi, he would have received bad press for his driving antics, but off the track he was universally liked and respected.

• Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    I get very emotinal when ever I talk about Senna for three reasons.

1. I always thought Senna was something very special, almost spiritual.

2. Williams F1 are my old employer & I love the whole team.

3. I met my wife in the pub, whilst watching the Imola GP in 1994 :cry:
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • ADonmall
    ADonmall Posts: 12
    :D Got free tickets to go watch it in London on Sunday.... cannot wait!!!!!

Showing is in Brixton Ritzy at 11am

Got my tickets through this website: http://www.tellten.co.uk/homepage.welcome.action

Enter code 215225. Not sure if any seats are left
  • tobermory
    The generosity of Senna had no bounds his life was two worlds the hard nosed win at all costs driver and compassionate man who had time for people less fortunate in life then him.
  • EKE_38BPM
    tobermory wrote:
    The generosity of Senna had no bounds. His life was two worlds: the hard nosed, win at all costs driver and compassionate man who had time for people less fortunate in life then him.

Punctuation inserted to make it easier to read. Should that go into the Grammar Nazi thread?

• attica
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    tobermory wrote:
    The generosity of Senna had no bounds. His life was two worlds: the hard nosed, win at all costs driver and compassionate man who had time for people less fortunate in life than him.

Punctuation inserted to make it easier to read. Should that go into the Grammar Nazi thread?

Spelling mistake fixed too :twisted: :wink:
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • EKE_38BPM
    Oh yeah, missed that. Cheers!

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    itboffin wrote:

WTF???Never rated him???

You need to read the link posted earlier here as it explains as to why on race days he could seem 'cold and arrogant'.

I know a Senna who gave a steering wheel to a young lad when paying a visit to test for Lotus. Was very warm and took timeout to show him the car.
  • tobermory
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    tobermory wrote:
    The generosity of Senna had no bounds. His life was two worlds: the hard nosed, win at all costs driver and compassionate man who had time for people less fortunate in life then him.

Stick it where you like.
  • mil0oz
    mil0oz Posts: 9
    Attica wrote:
    I wouldn't say that modern drivers are in half the danger that Senna.

...and Senna et al were positively wrapped in cotton wool compared to Moss & Co. Safety is not the legacy of Senna (bar possibly the Hans device, which had as much to do with the near identical CoD of Ratzenberger) but symptomatic of the relentless march of techology in F1 couple with stringent FIA safety tests/rules/regs.

As for the film...

Watch it for: footage - lots of unseen archive footage here.

Don't expect to see: a decent, well rounded and impartial documentary.
  • I was living in Brasil when he pegged out. 21 gun salute, restaurant menus with black ribbons down the middle, mass hysteria a la Diana, day of mourning, etc. Frankly, it was a bit much - particularly the salute - shook my car up something horrible as I was passing Parque Ibirapuera.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Didn't HANS come out of Nascar or some other silly American race series?

• attica
    mil0oz wrote:
    Safety is not the legacy of Senna (bar possibly the Hans device, which had as much to do with the near identical CoD of Ratzenberger)

Eke is right, it was the death of Dale Earnhardt Snr at the Daytona 500 that sped up the use of HANS. Ironic considering he'd described it as "that damned noose" and wouldn't wear one.

Ayrton Senna died when a piece of suspension strut entered his helmet, needless to say, a HANS device would not have protected him from that. Roland Ratzenberger would possibly have survived if he'd been wearing a HANS device though as he died due to a basilar skull fracture like Earnhardt. The introduction of HANS devices started after Ratzenberger's death and was massively accelerated by Earnhardt.
    mil0oz wrote:
    Don't expect to see: a decent, well rounded and impartial documentary.
    How about I get to watch a tribute to a great great driver then?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    I read a book called Grand Prix Requiem, which predates the Imola weekend as I recall there had been no deaths in F1 for 10 years before that weekend. Great read, highly recommend it to any motorsport fans. There are a few that stick in my mind. Particularly Ronnie Peterson. I remember seeing it on telly as a kid. James Hunt ran into the flames to try and get him out of the car as the marshalls watched. That was a true act of heroism to my mind. Niki Lauda was included in the book as they said his number was up but he somehow beat the odds.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I read a book called Grand Prix Requiem, which predates the Imola weekend as I recall there had been no deaths in F1 for 10 years before that weekend.

8 years since a driver had died in an F1 car, but 12 since it had happened during a race weekend.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Niki Lauda was included in the book as they said his number was up but he somehow beat the odds.

I remember reading that a priest was called to read him the last rites and Lauda told him to get stuffed!

Interestingly I think the accidents this weekend show that F1 is still a dangerous sport, although with the great advances in safety drivers are now able to survive horrendous accidents with relatively little injury.