I want to start cycling again and I need some help please

2»

Comments

• Alex R
    Alex R Posts: 31
    yeah.. the crackshaft needs to be replaced! and I was told that this is a problem that they are aware of (they had several others that required changing - "probably a poor quality batch of shafts" they said)!

well, at least it'll get changed on the warranty... it'll be delivered at the store in 3-5 days

hmmmmm....
  • mtb crazy
    mtb crazy Posts: 245
    alex, just go with your gut instinct. ask to hae a proper look at the bikes or go into a shop and ask about them and whats best for someone who hasnt ridden in a while. they will point you in the right direction if they are a shop worth buying from. i had a problem choosing the right bike, at first i could see myself getting a giant or voodoo. but the guy in my local shop recommended the cube LTd comp and when i had a go on it i knew it was what i wantedand its awesome!
  • Alex R
    mtb crazy, you were lucky! it took me ages to decide (just cause I was a complete 0 when it came to specs... also I had no idea what to look for at a mtb). the cube seems to be a good one!
    I had my mind set on : Mongoose Tyax Elite (because it had a good rating on bikeradar), Giant Yukon and the Carrera Vulcan.. and when I decided to go ahead and buy I discovered that both the Mongoose and the Giant were no longer on stock (well, not with the frame size I wanted)... so I went for the Carrera :)
    eh, it's my first mtb after 8 years...and I'm sure it won't be the last!! probably I'll change it in about a year or so. I'll see
    hope that the vulcan will do for a while. i'll have the crank shaft changed sometime next week and hopefully I won;t have any more trouble with it.
    take care
  • mtb crazy
    mtb crazy Posts: 245
    yeah i guess i was lucky, i did have a bit of a look round first though. tbh i had no idea either! thats why i went to cycle zone and asked what they would recommend. Giant bikes look good but ive never ridden one, well not yet anyway. i will keep myu cube for a good while to build up my confidence, i like the fact that it has shimano brakes, makes me feel safer! what part is the crank shaft, im assuming its the bit that connects the crank to the bike and/or pedals? where abouts do you ride? you could try coombes lane thats good fun
  • Alex R
    yeah... I had the crank shaft replaced a few weeks ago. The bike came fitted with a Truvativ X Flow one, the Halfords arses fitted a differnt one saying that they can't get the Truvativ.... Just had a company cycling event (proud to do some fundraising for Help for Heroes) and the bike was crap (it was the first ride after the crank shaft replacement and a full servce @ halfords). So far i did about 450 miles on the Carrera and I am reaaaaaaaaaally disappointed! Not sure if is the bike or the shitty service from Halfords....
    Today I went back to Halfords and they’ve ordered me a new Truvativ. Anyhow.. I am thinking of selling the bike

my opinion: if someone decides to buy a mountain bike from Halfords and really use it off-road, he should NEVER have it serviced in the store!! The bike might be OK, but the service is appalling!!

Looking for a new bike now.. and I’m sure that I’ll struggle again to decide what on earth to go for
  • snowden_88
    snowden_88 Posts: 174
    Wow, I have a 6 week service due on my Bantu, Not sure if I'll bother.
    "it's like a gift, you know? It's like I can't control it"
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    edited July 2011
    What was wrong with the replacement? You haven't said. Why is it 'crap'? You are lucky that they replaced the chainring at all, rider error and bashing them causes them to bend!

Do you know how to do pre ride checks? It is worth trying to set the gears up yourself, as cables stretch meaning that gears need readjusting.

You have no reason to look for a new bike in my book. For the money, you don't get much better than what you have.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    snowden_88 wrote:
    Wow, I have a 6 week service due on my Bantu, Not sure if I'll bother.

Why not? Not all Halfords are the same! Maybe the store with the OP isn't so hot, I don't know, but in any case, all riders need to check the bike themselves anyway. The first free service can help you.
  • snowden_88
    My cycling club (Timber) sorted my gears out for me. They weren't aligned very well at all. Other than that, I feel the bike is fine. Its me thats the problem... :(
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Learn to do all this stuff yourself. Indexing etc is just routine maintenance and easy to do.
    Parktools website in Nicklouse's sig has all the info you need.
    Or you'll have the same problems with any bike and you can't sell them all.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • snowden_88
    Where do shops stand on upgrades and warranties?

Iv upgraded my saddle, grips and pedals. Will Halfords have a problem with this if I find something wrong with the bike in the future? Could they turn around and say that any bike modified is not covered by warranty?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope, why should they? It's not the same as sticking some monster downhill forks on.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Alex R
    mmm... I have to agree! I am sure that there are some guys at halfords that really know how to service a bike, but I believe is a gamble!.. the choice is yours

the new crankshaft - crap: i was told by a connoisseur that is not as good the Truvativ I had in the first place (which the guys from halfords said is not too good, as they had to change quite a few of those under warranty). also, during my cycle ride I had problems shifting between the 3 gears...

no, I don't know how to setup the bike or do any routine checks. i am a complete noob! I completely lost contact with the bike world and now my schedule is quite hectic, so i don't have time to catch up. i just hardly find the time to cycle.
    cooldad, thanks for recommending those sites! I really want to learn how to do all by myself! I will study that site when i'll have some time.. many thanks

yesterday I took the bike for servicing yet again.. and this time they've sorted the cranckshaft (so now it works ok), they've changed the chain (they found a slightly twisted link in the chain) and the rear freewheel case (they said that is best to change the 2 together)
    went for a ride yesterday and the bike behaved a lot better...
    I really want to change it though... I think is a good idea to start fresh! (I am just worried that because itw as not serviced properly, the minor problems that it developed due to normal wear, might have agravated).. what do you guys think?

cheers
  • Alex R
    Cooldad, thanks for thr tip! Parktools is great to find info on bike self-service!!
  • Hi everyone and many thanks for the previous advice!! Now I manage to do a basic maintenance check (clean & lubricate, cables, brakes – no gears though yet...didn’t have the cojones to try that, as I was afraid I’d make a mess!! Will ask someone to show me at first and then try to do it myself).

Well, since I started off with the wrong foot with my Carrera, I have decided to go ahead now and get a new bike.. I have done about 700miles on the Carrera so far and I have to admit, I have been definitely infected with the offroad virus!!! Hahah.. absolutely love going for a ride whenever I can! Now I’m almost 100% recovered after the health problem, so i want to move to next level ;)

Now... here comes again the toughest problem of all times: which bike??

I would greatly appreciate some advice vs the below models I’ve selected:

GT Avalanche 1.0(£420) http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-avalanche-10-disc-2011
    GT Zaskar Sport(£480) http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-zaskar-sport-2011
    GT Zaskar Comp(£600) http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-zaskar-comp-2011
    GT Zaskar Elite(£780) http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-zaskar-elite-2011

Giant XTC 3(£695) http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p3483
    Giant Talon 0(£760) http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p3482

Specialized Rockhopper Comp(£750) http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p8860

Scott Scale 60(£700) http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p3229
    Scott Scale 70(£610) http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p3029

Mongoose Tyax Super(£650) http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p3409
    Merida Matts Trial 300-d(£750) http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p8930

Is the price difference between GT Zaskar Comp / Elite worth it? Is it worth buying the Elite?? Or is another one on that list better?? Os, do you have any other suggestions??? I reaaaaaally don't want to spend more than £750ish - THE LESS THE BETTER (my initial budget was 650... and it still seemed quite a lot for me)

Many thanks for all the help!
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Currently riding my 10 yr old Carrera Kraken after getting back in the saddle and looking to upgrade at Xmas. So this thread is very interesting!

Have been looking at some of these very bikes, certainly the GTs and Giants (Am liking the Talon at the moment). Also have a look on the Winstanley site. They are doing a lot of 2011 Cubes at 20% off. Some of the LTDs fall nicely into that budget. If only Canyon bikes had some of the Yellowstones in stock they might have been in the shortlist too.
  • really looking forward to see what the experts think of my list. I've only started cycling again about 5 months ago (after taking a break since 2003 - cause of an accident I had). I am absolutely mad about it.. Have already a nice set of scars and fully enjoying myself each time I go out.. However, my Carrera is misbehaving (maybe also cause I haven't treated it well in the beginning... is cause I just didn't know how! I did about 700miles with it and wasn't thinking I'll have to change it that soon..).

So really want to move to a next level, buy a decent bike to love and to cherrish (till something really serious do us apart :P)!!
  • Crumbs, what a thread.

Firstly, the Vulcan is a very decent bike for the money, albit you obviously had a bad experience with Halfords, which doesn't seem to be that unusual.

I would say that at 6.1" the 22" frame must be massive for you? My mate bought the 22" bike and I thought it was huge (I'm also 6.1") Onbiously best to try them out, but I would have a good look at 20 - 21" frames if I were you (I ride 21" Rockhopper)

As for your list, there's a massive variety of bikes there and you may be better off starting a new thread in the buying advice section.

I am no expert, but I can say for sure that you can't go too far wrong with a rockhopper. Don't be afraid to go for a 2010 model if you can find one cheaper (spec is prob as good if not better than 2011)

The Zaskar Elite is a fantastic amount of bike for the money and the spec is very high. It is more a XC bike though, so youmay find the riding posiiton a touch more agressive than what you are used to. If you are happy with that then I think it would be a great bike.

Otherwise it's a matter of personal opinion, but I'd go Rockhopper.

And do think about the frame size!
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Interesting thread..

the 6 week service is always a good thing to do, as it's free.. but, it is hit & miss. The guys in my local store are all pretty good with it all, so I'd have no hesitations in taking a bike there for a service if I had to. (I usually use Cycle Kingdom in Fleet though, as the guys there rock).

The frame size (22") does sound massive, especially for off road. I'm also 6'1", but prefer a smaller frame, and generally get either an 18" or 19", which does me fine (less to get in the way on the downhills, then just pop the seatpost up on the way back up).

Just on your bike choices.. it's all down to personal preference, try out some models and different sizes, find the one that suits you. Look out for demo days in your area, get a feel of how they perform off road, on the trails etc.

But saying that, the GT's, both elite and comp represent better value for money than the Specialized (my opinion).

Good luck with your choice, hope you enjoy whatever you get more than the Carrera :)

Oh, and also, second hand at that price would get you a lot of bike probably well looked after too... :wink:
  • Chris, Stav,

Thanks for your thoughts!

Took on board the fact that the frame size is too large (when I bought the bike I checked some charts and those recommended a 21' frame for me - for the Carrera they only had 20 and 22 and I thought that 22 is better :D ... I am such a noob!!!).

When riding I am not sitting on the saddle, but standing, so I don't think that the sitting position would affect me in a way. I will certainly go for a 20' frame, but I also plan to try the bike first and see how it feels (hope I'll be able to do that)

You both agree that the GT Zaskar is a good bike. Also a friend of mine made some recommedations, so now I am narrowing the list down a bit (based on all your oppinions)

Soooooo...Which Bike?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-zaskar-elite-2011/

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p3229

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p3483

http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p8860

I have to admit that everyone said that that the GT is a good choice, but wasn't always placed as a first choice!!!.. I would really appreciate a few more opinions, before going ahead and buying.

Furthermore, I am slightly more tempted to go ahead for this one, as I know I can try it at a shop near me...

Thank you all
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    That same Giant is in the bike shop next to my office, and does look very nice. I've only owned a FS Giant, so can't really comment on the HT's, but they are very popular :)

Just as a late entry, have you thought about popping into a local Halfords, to see if they have any ex-display Boardman HT's (possibly 2010 models like this) for sale at reduced prices? The do offer great spec for the price..

The size you're after is a little bit less common than Medium, so there may still be a few about.

Just a thought ;)
  • So, Alex, what is the lesson learned. What you did was research a new bike on the basis of characteristics and with the intention to keep it and use it. You had some problems which don't actually sound that bad. And in the end you did about 120 miles per month which is respectable. And you find that the bug has bitten you.

Because there will be other people here asking the same question that you did earlier - would you do exactly the same again or go for a second hand bike or any other option that now seems viable in the light of experience.?

I for one would be interested.

A couple of years ago I had the same choice but with a bigger budget - bought new, kept it and love it.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Learn to do all this stuff yourself. Indexing etc is just routine maintenance and easy to do.
    Parktools website in Nicklouse's sig has all the info you need.
    Or you'll have the same problems with any bike and you can't sell them all.

Indeed. Replaced my rear mech cable and (re?)indexed the gears last week. Very, very satisfying to do it yourself and gear changes really feel like a brand new bike now. Much better than when I got the lbs to do it a couple of months back!

And it was very easy (maybe an hours work all together and €2 for the cable) - happy days :)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8