Caad 9 2009 Frame Size

rjbonnell
rjbonnell Posts: 170
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi all

I was wondering if anyone can offer some advice on which Cannondale Caad 9 frame size would be best for me. May be you are a Caad 9 owner, what frame do you ride?

My measurement from a bikefit calculator:

Measurements
Inseam: 81
Trunk: 66
Forearm: 34.5
Arm: 65.5
Thigh: 60.65
Lower Leg: 53.75
Sternal Notch: 151
Total Body Height: 177

The Competitive Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 52.4 - 52.9
Seat tube range c-t: 54.1 - 54.6
Top tube length: 54.6 - 55.0
Stem Length: 11.2 - 11.8
BB-Saddle Position: 69.3 - 71.3
Saddle-Handlebar: 53.4 - 54.0
Saddle Setback: 5.0 - 5.4

The Eddy Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 53.6 - 54.1
Seat tube range c-t: 55.3 - 55.8
Top tube length: 54.6 - 55.0
Stem Length: 10.1 - 10.7
BB-Saddle Position: 68.5 - 70.5
Saddle-Handlebar: 54.2 - 54.8
Saddle Setback: 6.2 - 6.6

The French Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 55.3 - 55.8
Seat tube range c-t: 57.0 - 57.5
Top tube length: 55.8 - 56.2
Stem Length: 10.3 - 10.9
BB-Saddle Position: 66.8 - 68.8
Saddle-Handlebar: 55.9 - 56.5
Saddle Setback: 5.7 - 6.1

5593395396_e8c760d93b.jpg
Caad 9 Size Guide by rjbonnell, on Flickr

I was thinking a 56cm frame but having looked on the web a few people simlar to me are riding 54's.

I have a Trek 1.9 2009 in a 58cm frame which the bike shop reccomended to me a year or so ago but have always felt too stretched out, this is why I thought a 56 would be better.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Richard

Comments

• macondo01
    macondo01 Posts: 706
    I ride a 52..

I am 5'8.

30'' inside leg.

It fits me well.
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    I've got a Cannondale System Six. Same shape as the CAAD range.
    I'm 5' 11' (180cm)and have the 56cm top tube. It is just right, although I could have gone up a size. It has a 11cm stem and the saddle is quite far back.
    I would have though that a 54cm would do you nicely.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    56cm? Surely too big. I'm 183cms, 89cm inseam with a 79.5 BB to saddle top and the 56 Super6 I test rode was perfect, not a small amount of seatpost showing mind you, but the reach was good.

Start with Macdonald's suggestion and test ride a 52cm and you'll be within 1 frame size from that. Note your inseam vs the standover height on the 54 - the TT would be within 2 cms of your crotch.

On your current Trek, what's the TT length? What's the stem length? What's your current BB to Saddle top? What's your current saddle nose to bar center? What's your saddle to bar vertical drop? What kind of pedal system do you have?

20cms is a good ballpark number for the measurement of seatpost AND saddle height where it leaves the collar. It factors things in like carrying a saddle bag and having a light fitted to your seatpost as well.

The smaller of 2 possible frame sizes for any human is lighter, packs smaller, handles quicker, might ride slightly harsher, and might have bottle issues (if we're talking 48cm sizes) and might have toe overlap issues.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    I'm within a couple of cm to yourself for height (175) and same inseam and ride a 54 which works great.

I've done similar to Morrisje above in that the saddle is quite set back and the stem is longer than standard at 11cm.
    Maybe that's a function of the CAAD frame geometry but then I think I also have longer than 'standard' arms. Luckily I'm still quite flexible and prefer to ride more stretched out if that makes sense :D

Someone mentioned toe overlap. I have it on mine with size 9 feet. It's never really a problem whilst riding though...just bear it in mind if you need to do a u-turn on a narrow country lane :oops:
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • rjbonnell
    rjbonnell Posts: 170
    Firstly, thank you for all your replies :D

I think the TT length on my Trek is 57.5 and I ride a 90mm stem (changed from the original 100mm).

When I ride the Trek i can do 35-40 miles without too much discomfort but I always feel a little stretched out. Whenn looking down I can see the front axle just behind the bars.

Due to me being a big lad I dont tend to get in to any sort of aero position and ride a bit more upright.

I was really hoping a 56 would be OK for me, especially seeing as I won a 56cm 2009 Caad 9 on ebay 2 days ago.

I always thought after riding a 58 and it being a little too big that a 56 would be ideal, then I start to investigate Caad 9 frame sizes and I find people like me are riding 54's. :?

One of those doh moments :(
  • SeanT
    SeanT Posts: 51
    I'm 178cm 81cm inseam I had a caad 5 in 56cm and It was a good fit for me.

I think either a 54 or 56 could work for you, the 56 will allow you to place the bars higher and there will be less chance of toe overlap.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Mike67 wrote:
    ...the stem is longer than standard at 11cm...
    There is no standard stem length, period. It's why they're made in sizes from 70 to 140 mm. They're like shoes, everyone needs the size that fits them.

If you're talking about a complete bike where the "original" stem was x and you have y, then remember any complete bike is a compromise to fit somewhere on the bell-curve of human norms for a given size. Same with 170 v 172.5 v 175 cranks and 40 vs 42 vs 44 cm bars.

I got the best fit by trying different stuff out over the years, cheap stems are only £15 and can be easily sold on - everyone should have an alternate stem at home to experiment with: a longer one for when we're skinnier and wearing less clothing in the summer and a shorter one for the winter when it's cold and we're feeling inflexible and want to curl up in a ball.

The reason I wrote the disclaimer about the small vs large frame size b/c that is often an option people have to consider.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.