Weak XTR

Dangermouse64
Dangermouse64 Posts: 317
edited April 2011 in MTB general
Just fitted a new XTR rear mech and although I have had it a couple of months, it was only fitted today.
It hasnt been used yet, but the spring seems very weak and in high gears the chain is slack as if its not taking the tension up, the chain is a lightweight Yumeya XTR so I cant see that being the problem. I have taken extra links out to see if that helps but still loads of sag when on 22fr and any gear on the HG 50 rear cassette

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    is the chain the correct length?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Is it fitted correctly?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    Correct cage length for number of chainrings?
  • Ditch the 22t
  • hennez
    hennez Posts: 255
    get a saint rear mech :D
    My bike takes me places that school never could
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    I had this mid ride in Wales; my chain went slack and wouldn't keep tight while peddling.

I had to rebuild my XTR mech and re-engauge the main spring that puts tension on the bottom long arm. Mine had popped out of it's locating point during the rough riding... as yours is new I would consider sending it back (after checking the chain length).

Rebuilding the mech was easy once I worked it out but if you look on Youtube there are videos showing you how to do it quickly. It should take only about 10-15 minutes once removed from the frame.