Sports car this evening...

2»

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    rjsterry wrote:
    Dudu wrote:
    I was once asked about my bike by a WVM while waiting at the lights.

He knew the frame-builder.

Now cut that on-topic nonsense out!

@DDD: I know diddly about cars, but nobody's mentioned anything French yet - was that deliberate?

I've got a Focus (first design of Mk2), my parents have got a Peugeot 307, a year or two newer than my car, and with much lower miles. It's been reliable, but it just feels incredibly cheap and nasty compared to the quality, solid feel of the Focus. Just everything about it, from the boot lid to the seats, to the buttons for the windows, it all just feels like at least a step down from the Focus.

For that money D/DD/DDD could probably get a decent spec, the facelift model, Zetec S maybe?. I think it's quite telling that with one of the recent Golf models, VW said they hoped to make it as good as the (at the time) current Focus. They nearly did. And then Ford brought out the newer, better Focus! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Rolf, what is the poached egg mobile?

Sorry DDD - poached egg mobile = Civic; to me, they look blobby like a poached egg with the rather raked in side windows. Imagine a white one with a yellow roof!

Civic = very good choice though. If you want reliability, Japan has it sorted (though parts might be tricky at the moment!).

As for the French stuff. What's the point these days of deliberately buying something that will give that much hassle. French cycle = cool, French car = electrical problems......

Focus is great though - Mk1 nicer than the Mk2 imo. Latter got too bloaty.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    If you're being pushed down the Focus path, divert your attentions towards Volvo. Ignore the old image; we've moved on. Mid-range Volvos (S40) are built on the Focus floor pan but aren't objects of desire etc so you get a lot of car & toys for your money, and for your low mileage the economy won't knacker you - I see about 40 out of my 2.0 diesel in the usual mix of urban / rural / hoofing it down the lanes sometimes / towing a caravan occasionally.

In reality, if you're over 18 or you already have a g/f / partner / wife, buy a car on its practicality not looks. No-one cares that you have a rare grey import 1998 Matzascooby RS54321 with a stripe and only 3 exist in the whole world. If it's an early Lotus Cortina though, jump to it and ignore me.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    what CiB said!

volvo diesel D4 = mucho fuel economy an mucho fasto

what about an Audi saloon, dont be put off because Keiran on here has one :wink: 1.9 A4 deisel either 130 bhp or 150bhp an will comfortably do 40mpg

i think my next car when my current Astra falls to bits will either be a Land Rover Disco or Volvo estate, does this mean im getting old??
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    CiB wrote:
    Mid-range Volvos (S40) are built on the Focus floor pan.

C30s too.

And the D4 is quick, one beat my mate's 3 litre V6 Mondeo away from the M6 Toll booth the other weekend.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    mudcow007 wrote:
    i think my next car when my current Astra falls to bits will either be a Land Rover Disco or Volvo estate, does this mean im getting old??
    Yes. Welcome. Get a Land Rover Series II, III or similar. They're a hoot to drive, green (built once 40 years ago and still going strong) and are so uncomfortable that you won't want to go any distance in one, which is good as they only do about 15mpg. Insurance is measured in pence per year, and no VED either, so you can argue the toss with other drivers about it.

The ideal car.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    mudcow007 wrote:

Means you are glutton for punishment.

I'd love a Disco, but everyone I know who has had one has had nothing but trouble. In that area I'd either get an XC90/60, something japanese or an RR.

As for the Volvo, I loved my old S60 T5, but it ate front tyres for breakfast. I'm currently driving an X reg 2.0 v40 courtesy car and I think it's got a fuel leak; Mrs A is currently putting about £10 a day to cover 30 miles. It takes a lot for her to complain about the economy when she's used to using a 3l flat six for an urban commute.

That said, Volvo make some of the best diesel engines you can get.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    CiB wrote:
    Get a Land Rover Series II, III or similar

are you mad?! a series ll!!

i use to do a fair bit of off roading few years back an a mate had an old series ll, the thing woudl never stuck but he was forever snapping bolts when he had to fix something or welding holes in chassis....

heres a pic of my suzuki after a failed attempt at a hill climb

29032008162.jpg
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,393
    Apparently there is a big increase in LR thefts due to them being very easy to strip (no welds - all nuts and bolts). Takes about 2hrs to get them down to individual components ready for flogging down the pub/on the web. Ah Countryfile...
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    For D +xDs as appropriate much as I like my Alfa the Civic will hold it's money better and be more reliable. No point in paying a premium to buy a diesel for such a low mileage. Buy something you'll enjoy owning and be proud of, why not if you can.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    If, for some reason, you buy a new Alfa on finance, for the love of god take out gap insurance. Their value drops like a stone.

Incidentally this also goes for the higher end Volvos.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,124
    Uncle drives some nice cars and likes his bike, my fav was when turned
    Up for a ride with the bike hanging out the back of a rolls :)