Cramp

bob.lee2512
bob.lee2512 Posts: 2
edited January 2012 in Health, fitness & training
My last two sportives have been spoilt by cramp in my legs :( . In both cases it has occurred after a period of hill climbing at around the 60 mile point. I normally carry High Five 4:1 in my bottles and drink plenty. I also chew through a few Clif Shot Blocks and Go Bars. Once my legs have seized up, stopping me in my tracks, the cramp eases, but is always threatening to return, meaning that I'm unable to have the kick that I had prior to 60 miles. Has anybody got any good suggestions on what I can do to stop this? I'm doing the 92 mile Lincoln Grand Prix Sportive on 7th May, and know that in my current form my legs will lock up in the first ten yards of the Michaelgate cobbled hill at the end of the ride. I'd really like to be able to have a crack at the final climb without fear of cramp spoiling my fun.

Comments

• Sounds like dehydration to me. Replace the high five stuff with just water, drink 500ml 30-60mins before exercise and continue to drink every 30 mins or so. Also immediately after a ride, eat a banana as they contain mainly protein and potassium which can help to stop cramping.
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    Cramp is linked heavily (not proven) to because of a lack of electrolytes (Sodium, Chloride, Magnesium, Potassium and Calcium).

So
    -Elete water add in for the high 5 - this didn't really work for me, and often left me feeling dehydrated.
    or
    -A different energy drink that allready contains the 5 electrolytes e.g. torq. - This for me, works.

Drinking water instead will only make things worse.
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    Add a nunn tablet to your drink......it worked for me.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,962
    Have a look here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20024&t=12802199
    I haven't suffered from cramp once since using electrolytes in my water.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    You should probably repost in the roadie section for more answers. We're fixated by our amount of travel and how much extra length out Seatpost can grow by in this forum. The leg shavers will have more advice on what to do if you actually ride a bike far enough for it to hurt.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I used to have the same problem in long events, was told by an older member of my road club to drink a pint of tonic water the night before the event, and haven't had any problems since. I think tonic water has some of the salts you need in it(potassium I think). Not sure why it works, it just has!
    Custom spec Scott Scale
    Custom spec Salsa Fargo
    Custom spec Scott CR1
    Scott Speedster S1
  • mattpage
    mattpage Posts: 122
    I used to have the same problem in long events, was told by an older member of my road club to drink a pint of tonic water the night before the event, and haven't had any problems since. I think tonic water has some of the salts you need in it(potassium I think). Not sure why it works, it just has!

It is the quinine in Tonic Water that is supposed to keep cramp at bay. No scientific evidence in it I don't think, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Best cure for cramp is simply more training. Lack of electrolytes can also cause it, but sometimes its just exertion over your normal level.
    Twitter: @mattpage24.
    Strava.
  • Thanks for the clarification! That's what I thought he had told me but couldn't remember exactly.
    Custom spec Scott Scale
    Custom spec Salsa Fargo
    Custom spec Scott CR1
    Scott Speedster S1