Blackfriars Cycle lane removal - please help

jamesu
jamesu Posts: 16
edited April 2011 in Commuting general
Hi all,

Would be grateful if anyone would take a minute to send TfL an email telling them what a terrible idea it is to remove sections of Blackfriars Bridge cycle approach lane.

Consultation here:

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/consultation-and-engagement/blackfriars-bridge-engagement

James

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I can't actually work out what's been removed.... Seen a lot about this in the press, hasn't TfL been forced to reconsider the design?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • jamesu
    They are adding a central island and expanding the pavement, whilst adding an additional lane for southbound traffic onto the bridge - at the cost of removing the existing southbound cycle lane which would stop before the junction and then resume on the bridge.

They haven't been forced to reconsider - they have been hassled into having an engagement, which if people respond strongly could be enough to force reconsideration.

Good explanation here http://cyclelondoncity.blogspot.com/201 ... utely.html
  • Headhuunter
    OK, thanks, I see what they are doing. Personally if I were heading across south, I would simply take primary position in the left most lane and stop cars whizzing past but I can see that this might be difficult for some. It does seem ridiculous that at a time when cyclists possibly outnumber drivers across that junction that TfL wishes to effectively turn it into a 3 lane motorway!
  • Headhuunter
    Email sent to STEngagement@tfl.gov.uk....
  • jamesu

Cheers.

Yes, prime lane would be the best call, but they have you in a cycle lane and I expect many would carry on in it to the junction, then find themselves without anywhere to go as the traffic shifts over in front of them.

unnecessary and nasty bit of design.
  • Headhuunter
    jamesu wrote:

Cheers.

Yes, prime lane would be the best call, but they have you in a cycle lane and I expect many would carry on in it to the junction, then find themselves without anywhere to go as the traffic shifts over in front of them.

unnecessary and nasty bit of design.

With the sheer number of cyclists heading across that bridge it does seem ridiculous that they would remove a cycling facility and provide an extra lane for cars. It completely flies in teh face of supposed policy to encourage cycling in London and a reduction in unnecessary car journeys. But then again I don't expect much more from Bozo the motorists Mayor...