Belgian Racing

mclarent
mclarent Posts: 784
edited June 2011 in Amateur race
Has anyone on here ever done Kermis or another kind of amateur racing in Belgium? If so, any advice? Can you get EOL? How do Cats work? Interested in going over and doing one or two just for the crack, I'm a 3rd Cat with points (targetting 2nd Cat this year).
"And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
- eccolafilosofiadelpedale

Comments

• sounds good, its something I have always wanted to do. Might seriously consider it for next year, a nice month away racing in Belgium. Need a good winter on the bike though lol!
    try this link its pretty comprehensive

http://www.thechainstay.com/belgium/index.html

let us know how you get on!
  • mclarent
    Fantastic! Thanks, I will.
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    There's that story - quite possibly apocryphal - about a domestic pro that went out there to do some kermesse racing. He fancied himself as a decent bike handler until the bunch dived into the first corner about 15 abreast and he's thinking there is no way we are going to get round this - and the local rider next to him grabbed hold of his handlebars with one hand and steered him round it. That put me off.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • mclarent
    I'm assuming I'll get my ass well and truly handed to me, but it will be a fun experience! Have a business trip to Brussels in June, so will try to combine it I reckon.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,120
    I think OzzzyOsborn206 did a bit over there last season.
  • Surfr
    Surfr Posts: 243
    sounds good, its something I have always wanted to do. Might seriously consider it for next year, a nice month away racing in Belgium. Need a good winter on the bike though lol!
    try this link its pretty comprehensive

http://www.thechainstay.com/belgium/index.html

let us know how you get on!

That sounds like a lot of fun. Oh to be fitter/younger/less tied down and just be able to up sticks for 6 months and race on the continent. I'd jump at the chance if it arose. Sounds like a great experience.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    yeah i did some racing there last year, it is very fast from the word go to the end so very different to what i have raced in England so if you can try to get over there for a few weeks to get used to the racing but if not give it a go and so how it goes.

Entry is dead easy all kermesses are EOL and you pay 8 euro then when you take your number back you get 5 euro back, most races pay at least up to 30th where you get 10 euro. Most races i did there was between 70-120 starters but never many more than 50 finishers so if you finish there is a good chance you will make money. Make sure you have your BCF licence and a letter from BC saying you are covered to race over there.

At your first race it may take a while longer to sign in as they will sort you out with a card that has a bar code on and your details on so after that when you sign on they scan that and you just sign next to your number, most people over there speak enough English for you to get by. Enjoy, if you need any more info give me a shout and i will try help
    this is the best site for races, all the races i enter were 1.12B elite U23, over there they don't seem to have categorys so you will find yourself up against some very strong riders
    http://new.wiebovlaanderen.be/COMPETITI ... Competitie
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    What ozzzyosborn206 said.

The style is very aggressive from the off until a break gets away then it can settle down a bit. Not always though. People attack often for the sake of attacking, not with any other purpose in mind. Try not to get sucked in or you'll be blown within 3 laps.

They are great fun races, especially once you have the fitness to finish them. I like how the crowd gets slowly bigger and drunker outside the cafe as each lap passes :)

Highly recommended, just make sure you've got some decent condition. It's not about how quick you can sprint, it's about how many times you can over the course of 2.5-3hrs. Which means your aerobic engine needs to be good so you recover after each effort. Which means plenty of long tempo rides.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Dog in a Hat by Joe Parkin is a good intro to Belgian Kermis racing. A few guys I know have ridden a season or raced out there - style of racing is somewhat different to UK - starts out hard and finishers faster.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • mclarent
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Dog in a Hat by Joe Parkin is a good intro to Belgian Kermis racing

Cheers, a combination of that plus the RVV is what convinced me to give it a go. Now all I need is signoff from the wife...
  • mclarent
    I'm in Belgium, done a couple of races. I've updated my blog, if anyone's interested!
  • Surfr
    Surfr Posts: 243
    Thanks for sharing. Look forward to more updates :)
  • mclarent
    Ta! Have 2-3 more races planned, depending on legs, so will update it again at least once :)
  • Kona21
    Kona21 Posts: 107
    I am thinking of going over there for 4 months next year.
    You can stay in a house with 11(?) other riders and create your own team for 4 months. Racing 4 times a week if you want.

I am only 21, not in a serious job and they allow me to have a career break so i can always come back.
    I will be seriously looking into it this week with the plan of getting it booked up !
    Best i get saving !
    Opera Super Leonardo
    Campag Super Record 11
    Corima Aero + wheels
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12777242
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    mclarent wrote:
    Ta! Have 2-3 more races planned, depending on legs, so will update it again at least once :)
    Good luck!

Your blog reminds me of my first race there, ooh about 13yrs ago now. Lasted 3 laps and I was out. It got better though.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    You may like to try out some of the other federations - WAOD etc. Ideally you need a TLI licence, but you can join the Belgian Federation and race I'm pretty sure.

Just look in the paper in the morning, and you'll see all the federations and races - watch the age categories though to make sure there is a race for your age group.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    good blog, make sme want to go back again, was the winner Mario Willems from Kingsnorth for your second race? i think thats him in one the the pictures you have put up? when i was there i found getting a good position on the start line was more helpful than a good warm up, it may mean you are waiting around on the line for a bit longer but as you said being at the back is the worst place, you have to be on good form and strong to move up in those races when they are going full gas
  • mclarent
    Cheers for the comments guys.

Ozzy - I'm not sure tbh, the winner was in an offwhite kit if that helps?

Kona - you can race 7 times a week if you want! :) I say do it, you're only young once, although 11 guys in one house would probably be a bit much for me!
  • procyclist
    procyclist Posts: 50
    Races go from the off. Don't get involved if you can't handle your bike. Swearing in flemish soon becomes second nature. Very good prostitutes in Ghent
  • onthedrops
    onthedrops Posts: 19
    Slight deviation to the original post - but was looking for more details for racing in Belgium as a Youth u16 rider. I understand you need a "calendar card", a permission letter from BC and your license. Please can someone confirm this is correct and also where the calendar cards can be obtained (maybe online) ?

PS I understand its a step up - but racing with dispensation in 3rd cat races this season so hoping not to be thrashed too badly!
  • mentalalex
    mentalalex Posts: 266
    yes you need a calendar card and the letter from BC, to get this you have to ring them up.

I'm a junior my self, was in belgium a few weeks ago.

the step up is something you can't really describe best way to know is to go and do it!

also you will need medical insurance for racing, comes as part of a UCI requirement as far as i believe.

have fun.
    I do science, sometimes.
  • mclarent
    One of the differences is that they don't have category racing in Belgium, so you'll be effectively riding E123 races, which obv be much harder than cat-3 you've been doing in the uk. Plus the standard is generally higher anyway. However, unlike the UK, the fact it's an E123 doesn't mean there will be a mainly elite/1st cat field, so you'll still find a group to ride with if you miss the break.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    mclarent wrote:
    One of the differences is that they don't have category racing in Belgium, so you'll be effectively riding E123 races, which obv be much harder than cat-3 you've been doing in the uk. Plus the standard is generally higher anyway. However, unlike the UK, the fact it's an E123 doesn't mean there will be a mainly elite/1st cat field, so you'll still find a group to ride with if you miss the break.

if he is a youth rider he will be racing youth races over there not Elite/U23
  • mclarent
    Sorry, guess you're right wasn't thinking.
  • onthedrops
    onthedrops Posts: 19
    Yes, 15-16 yearolds are "nieuwelingen" and have their own races.

Also, tracked down where calendar cards can be obtained ... http://www.belgiancycling.be

cheers