Rachety sounding rear hub??

agg25
agg25 Posts: 619
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,
Recently bought a set of Fulcrum Red Devil 5 wheels and I'm sure they ran a lot quieter than they are now with more of a rachety sound coming from the back hub. Is this normal? Do they require a service after a short period or am I just imagining things? I dunno. It not majorly loud, just wanted to do the right thing by it if I'm supposed to tighten something or other as maintenance.
Cheer!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is how a they work.

different amounts of grease can change the sound. as can the amount of use.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    That's just cause the excess grease has worked it's way around, nothing to worry about.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Three of us were pushing our bikes back up Aston Hill on Sunday, all with rear Hope hubs, I've never heard a row like it... :shock:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    some people strip out the grease and replace with oil to make it louder. I even tried one with dry lube, kinda liked it.

The ratcheting sound is also a good way of knowing your speed precisely for technical moves
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    but then you could add something like this hub to confuse everyone

http://www.youtube.com/user/nicklouse1? ... 6N8gVo3x0Q
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    nicklouse wrote:
    but then you could add something like this hub to confuse everyone

http://www.youtube.com/user/nicklouse1? ... 6N8gVo3x0Q
    Wow! What make is that?
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • RobJ20
    RobJ20 Posts: 48
    Thats a loud hub, i love my hopes its great when your coming behind someone to let them know your there. Might strip mine and try it with some thin oil.
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    i was wondering how you make them louder! my mate has the same spin doctor hub as me and his is noticeably louder, oil it is tonight!!
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    I had Hope hubs, I'd personally put thicker grease in em. They sound like a fecking tractor, awful bloody sound. Now got Halo rear hub on the HT and sounds like Nicks, much better.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....