Are there ever any tests done like this...

concorde
concorde Posts: 1,008
edited April 2011 in MTB general
You can look at a spec on a bike and say which one is better than another yeah? But are the bikes ever tested against each other properly? Kind of like the cars on Top Gear?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes.

it is what most Mags do.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • concorde
    Is there like a place where all or lots of the results can be accessed? I've seen them done in mags, 4 against each other etc. I am just wondering whether they're collated anywhere?
  • concorde
    Cheers. I'll have a look through there
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Concorde wrote:
    You can look at a spec on a bike and say which one is better than another yeah? But are the bikes ever tested against each other properly? Kind of like the cars on Top Gear?
    Hopefully they are NOT tested like the cars on Top Gear. Or the one with the flame paint job would always win.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • concorde
    You know what I mean :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nah the eagle eye hamthruster would win;-)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The bike would have to be bolted to a rocket and launched into space.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I think the answer to this question lies in the Pro Road races. Each year many riders switch teams AND bikes. Teams themselves switch bike brands and component brands
    due to sponsorship obligations. Granted it's all top line stuff but I don't believe Pro riders have any problems switching to different frames, shifters, components, and wheels. They just keep pedaling. The top riders don't really miss a beat by going to another brand of anything. They are still top riders. i guess the answer, from me anyway, to your question is not to worry about comparisons. I think it was the famous poll hustler Minnisota Fats who said "I don't need a 10,000 dollar pool cue to beat anyone, I can do it with a broom handle", or something like that. Anyway, that said it's probably more productive to spend your time actually pedaling your bike as oppossed to reading about them. :wink::wink:
  • deadkenny wrote:
    The bike would have to be bolted to a rocket and launched into space.
    I'm starting a similar project next weekend. :lol: They should have a bike show on TV though.
    "Youth's a mask, but it don't last
    live it long and live it fast."
    My dustcap topic:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forum/view ... &highlight
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Which of these bikes has the most torques? Hmm, both the same. And which has the best load area? Hmm, both the same. Which of them can cause my face to rip off under acceleration? Neither.

In conclusion- buy a car.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • concorde
    Some funny replies, or NOT!