Knocking sensation through pedal

101_North
101_North Posts: 607
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Folks,

Got an issue with a knocking sensation (no noise with it) which occurs when pedalling. Fitted a new BB and new sealed bearing pedals in the last 2 weeks. Everything seems tight and no play. Any suggestions where I should start?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    rear hub?
    what gear does it happen in.

is this since the new bits or are the new bits to try and remove the sensation?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 101_North
    New bits were to replace a completely knackered BB and a clicking noise from knackered pedal bearings. The knocking started about a week after the new bits were installed.

Thanks

• nicklouse
    in all gears or....

can you swap out a rear wheel?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • 101_North
    Sorry. In all gears. Can't swap out a rear whell but bub is due a service (replace bearings and regrease). Was going to do it tonight. Did front at weekend. Think that might help?

Thanks

• nicklouse
    well you need to eliminate the rear as an issue.

it could be the BB and or the pedals.
  • 101_North
    Cheers. If new bearings in the rear doesn't help I'll check BB and pedals again.

Thanks

• 101_North
    Turns out it was a loose BB cup. Obviously I didn't check very hard first time round.

Cheers

• Milkie
    Milkie Posts: 377
    Thread HiJack!

I have a similar problem!

Everything was fine before I fitted all this new stuff... New Hope rear hub bearings, new cassette, new crankset & new chain...

2 gears in the middle of the cassette feel very rough, almost a slight knocking (feels like a very dirty chain, mismatched cassette/chain/chainring)... What have I done wrong!?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not indexed correctly?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools