i think its time to go clipless....

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
right some of you may know that i recently got a tricross after many years of riding a mtb with flats i have never ever ever rode on spds but i quite fancy having a go

just found these on wiggle

Pedals

Shoes

what do you think?

i litrally know nothing about spds!
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shop around, new 520's can be had for under £20, as for shoes, I went to Evans, decided what I wanted then shopped around for the best price.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Shop around, new 520's can be had for under £20, as for shoes, I went to Evans, decided what I wanted then shopped around for the best price.

Simon

+1 I picked up another pair of 520s at the weekend as they had them for 19.99 in All Terrain. Saved me tormenting Evans with a price match against HighonBikes :lol:

f you do order online though aim for about £20 - you can get them for about £12 but those don't incude the cleats which are nearly £20 on their own!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mudcow007
    Rolf F wrote:
    but those don't incude the cleats which are nearly £20 on their own!

sweet!

you see i woudlnt have known about that at all..cheers!!
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    but those don't incude the cleats which are nearly £20 on their own!

sweet!

you see i woudlnt have known about that at all..cheers!!

thats why you're here in communiting general for all your kit related questions... wait a sec 8)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    520's seem to the most popular SPD, I use them on the road bike and the mtb to simplify things (one pair of shoes for both)

I also use the SH-56 multi release cleat which is a bit more user friendly for a SPD virgin, I've not had one issue with not releasing in a panic.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'd recommend the M1 shoes. I've been impressed with mine and they'll be much easier to walk in that the R1s.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    For your first pair of spd shoes you really wanna go try on as many pairs as you can. Ideally then buy them in store (despite it being more expensive it isn't usually a lot on the entry level shoes and they're providing a very useful service) after you know what fits then replacements can be bought online as you accurately know your size and fit preferences.
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    dhope wrote:

+1 to a spesh BG mtb pair, i've got the comp ones myself, they're brilliant.

I don't use shimano pedals but it's always worth shopping around as far as pedals go.
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • mudcow007
    right ordered the M520 pedals with cleats for £20 bobby dazzler!!

i will go to my LBS an check out the shoes. is it true you can slacken the cleats off so they are really easy to release from?
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    bails87 wrote:
    I'd recommend the M1 shoes. I've been impressed with mine and they'll be much easier to walk in that the R1s.
    +1. I'd recommend MTB shoes, particularly if you're using MTB pedals anyway. I use MTB shoes + Shimano M520s on the Wilier - stuff the fashion police!
    If you're ever going to use the Tricross with ordinary shoes, either A530s or M324s are good single-sided SPD pedals.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    bails87 wrote:
    +1. I'd recommend MTB shoes, particularly if you're using MTB pedals anyway. I use MTB shoes + Shimano M520s on the Wilier - stuff the fashion police!
    If you're ever going to use the Tricross with ordinary shoes, either A530s or M324s are good single-sided SPD pedals.

Yeah I would go for shoes with a sole so that you can walk around, the shoes you list above are great but not good for simply jumping off the bike, heading into a shop or something, you kinda need to have a change of shoes.

As for SPD cleats, Wellgo do cheap Shimano knock offs for about £7-8 rather than £20 for Shimano ones but those pedals come with cleats anyway as far as I know...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I think the M520 is a fantastic commuting pedal. Personally I would go with a mountain bikey type of shoe to go with them for walking-to-the-coffee-shop comfort.

Do be aware that your M520s will creak a little from time to time and don't panic that it is your bottom bracket when they do. I was wondering if the posher XTR versions are worth the extra money as I cannot fault the M520 for fit and feel.

Also, I'm not sure it is worth shopping around too much for the sake of a few quid. The speed of service and follow-up you get from a company like Wiggle is well worth the extra to my mind.
  • rolf_f
    mudcow007 wrote:
    right ordered the M520 pedals with cleats for £20 bobby dazzler!!

i will go to my LBS an check out the shoes. is it true you can slacken the cleats off so they are really easy to release from?

You can get them pretty slack (pedals rather than the cleats themselves) and I've not yet accidentally unclipped. I don't think it is really the tightness that is much of an issue - just remembering and developing the habit to twist your heel outwards. Once that is dialled in to your subconscious, you'll be fine. And they aren't much harder than flats to get into - as long as you put the right part of your foot on the pedal, it will clip in with a simple downward motion irrespective of the rest angle of the pedal.
    Also, I'm not sure it is worth shopping around too much for the sake of a few quid. The speed of service and follow-up you get from a company like Wiggle is well worth the extra to my mind.

Same service as Wiggle from companies like HighonBikes which do sell them for less. You aren't gaining anything for your extra £6 from WIggle.
  • jonny_trousers
    Rolf F wrote:

Same service as Wiggle from companies like HighonBikes which do sell them for less. You aren't gaining anything for your extra £6 from WIggle.

Fair enough, and yes, there will be quality dealers out there who can beat Wiggle on price, but I have had some bad experiences of ordering from cheaper companies who have happily taken my money and then made me wait ages for the product to come back in stock.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Marcus_C wrote:
    dhope wrote:

I don't use shimano pedals but it's always worth shopping around as far as pedals go.

+2 The comp version with the ratchet is worth the extra £5
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... s-ec017522
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    notsoblue wrote:
    Marcus_C wrote:
    dhope wrote:

+2 The comp version with the ratchet is worth the extra £5
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... s-ec017522

Curious, I thought the expert were up from the comp, despite the comp being more expensive (/reduced less)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

Fair enough, and yes, there will be quality dealers out there who can beat Wiggle on price, but I have had some bad experiences of ordering from cheaper companies who have happily taken my money and then made me wait ages for the product to come back in stock.

Maybe you've been unlucky. The only bother I've had was this week with two shops that advertised an item (one on its front page!) as in stock and neither had it! Neither charged me either at least; both let me know promptly that the item was out of stock. Incidentally, I believe HighonBikes is actually a good proper shop in its own right.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    +1 for the M1 shoes.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Roll up, roll up, get your competitively-priced pedals here:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/MTB++Parts/Transmission++Gears/Pedals-+MTB/Shimano+Pedals/list.htm

Always had good service from them too.
    Misguided Idealist
  • jonny_trousers
    Rolf F wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Maybe you've been unlucky. The only bother I've had was this week with two shops that advertised an item (one on its front page!) as in stock and neither had it! Neither charged me either at least; both let me know promptly that the item was out of stock. Incidentally, I believe HighonBikes is actually a good proper shop in its own right.

Problem I had was with Rutland Cycles. Same thing happened twice too. Shame because they were actually really lovely people on the phone.
  • mudcow007
    pedals arrived today brand spanking new PD-M520 with SM-SH51 cleats all for £20 inc postage winner winner chicken dinner!

just need shoes now.....
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    bloody right hand pedal won't engage at the moment... more fettling on the weekend. :evil:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    bloody right hand pedal won't engage at the moment... more fettling on the weekend. :D
    FTFY
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!