2011 Trek Madone 5.9

MarcBC
MarcBC Posts: 333
edited April 2011 in Your road bikes
My new Trek Madone 5.9.

Just picked up this morning in time for this weekend's sportive. Just need to fit pedals (Ultegra SL) and off I go. Sadly it is raining here today so tomorrow will be my first real ride.

The groupset is a mix of Ultegra and Dura Ace.

original.jpg

Apologies if the bike is not posed correctly! :D

Comments

• TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    It served Lance well - enjoy! :D

Please do let us know how you get on and what your impressions of it are. I understand, from owner reviews I've read, that it climbs like a rocket. I'd also be interested to learn what the comfort is like.
  • MarcBC
    Will do TMR. Some people think it is too stiff for anything other than a race bike. I will find out tomorrow and post up my thoughts on here.
  • Got to be honest...love the colour...good choice :)
  • leeroy72
    leeroy72 Posts: 330
    Nice bike mate.....Go Lance 8)
    Find your limits...and then exceed them frequently
  • As a relative newcomer to the dark side I'm struggling to understand why everyone doesn't lust after these babies the way I do.
    I know many people like something a bit different but there doesn't seem to be as many high end Trek Madones around as I expected.
    Are they too 'focussed' or are they perceived to be the product of a fantastic marketing team?
    Enjoy your bike, it's well sexy, init tho!!!
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    As a relative newcomer to the dark side I'm struggling to understand why everyone doesn't lust after these babies the way I do.
    I know many people like something a bit different but there doesn't seem to be as many high end Trek Madones around as I expected.
    Are they too 'focussed' or are they perceived to be the product of a fantastic marketing team?
    Enjoy your bike, it's well sexy, init tho!!!

The difficulty is that for the same cost as the high end Madones, you could have something more exotic.
  • What constitutes exotic?
    What are the godamn sexy bikes that are more 'exotic' than a Madone and are they better or simply more 'exotic'?
    Is there a desire to ride a bike knowing you're very unlikely to see anyone else with one?
    I accept that if everyone thought Ford Mondeos were the best car, we would all be driving one and other manufacturers may as well give up!
    Please help fill in my knowledge gaps.
  • c0ugars
    c0ugars Posts: 202
    How does it feel on a ride??? ive been looking at getting one of these and would welcone any feedback, ive been riding Giant's but the Madone just caught my eye, there is just something about it.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    As a relative newcomer to the dark side I'm struggling to understand why everyone doesn't lust after these babies the way I do.

Few things, there were probably alot more around when Mr Armstrong was smashing everyone at the Tour.

Secondly there a fair few Trek's out on the road in my experience.

Thirdly there are plenty, no, loads of similarly priced, similarly performing bikes out there. Trek's aren't extra special in any way just as 95% of frames aren't extra special in any way. Most frames that are extra special are so because of price as opposed to performance.

Personally, i really don't like the garish branding and paintjobs. Nor Bontrager components. They look a bit fugly to me. Nice enough but there's nicer out there in my opinion.
  • MarcBC
    c0ugars wrote:
    How does it feel on a ride??? ive been looking at getting one of these and would welcone any feedback, ive been riding Giant's but the Madone just caught my eye, there is just something about it.
    Whilst only having done 50 miles today, I have to say it is superb! Compared to my 2011 Orbea Aqua, it is chalk and cheese. Highly responsive, very stiff and so good up hills. A real thoroughbred. Very smooth too. I have changed the tyres though to 24mm Continental Grand Prix and ditched the Bontrager ones.

Whilst not purely specific to this bike, the Dura Ace and Ultegra set up is amazing compared to my 105 on the Orbea. Very smooth gear changes and rock solid braking.

Whilst I too was not sure about the Bontrager parts, we also did a couple of miles on broken up tarmac / canal route at around 14mph(why FFS?). The wheels are still completely true despite my 18st bouncing up and down on them. The saddle however is not comfortable and will be changed.

I am sure there are more exotic and less bling bikes out there, but I have to say I am so far very happy with this Trek and that is all that matters to me. I also got a 20% discount off the £ 3,400 retail price so that makes a difference. If it matters to people, it did get a lot of positive attention from the guys in my club,
    One cool thing is the built in Bontrager DuoTrap cadence / speed detector (£40 option). No more straps or ties and it looks very neat. It paired with my Garmin Edge 800 without any issue too.
  • What constitutes exotic?
    What are the godamn sexy bikes that are more 'exotic' than a Madone and are they better or simply more 'exotic'?

It just boils down to the fact that there are so many to chose from - which just goes to show all bikes are pretty good really.

Trek, Spesh and Giant are all popular - personally I'm not a fan - but that is just it, it's all personal opinion.

The most important thing is to get a bike you're proud of and feel happy riding.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer