RP23: Service it or Upgrade

Foll Zofalot
Foll Zofalot Posts: 204
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey folks :wink:
Not sure whether your going to be able to advise or not but here goes!
I have a 2009 Fox Float RP23 which is now due a service, however I rather fancy the idea of the new RP23 with the Boost Valve if (as it sounds) would perform better on AM? i.e take bigger hits better?

I have an Orange 5 (with Fox Float 36 RC2 and Maxle swingarm) and they now have the RP23 BV as standard, I called them up and chap I spoke to there said by the sounds of riding that I’m doing (XC, AM and doing it fairly aggressively) that sounded like that might be the way to go.

£349 for a new toy versus £102 for a service is a bit of a dilemma! :?

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Servicing is an easy job, half an hour tops (maybe a bit more the first time to study the internet) and a seal kit costs about £15.
    No special tools needed.
    No dilemma.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The air sleeve service is pretty straightforward providing the shock isn't stuck down and as above the bits are £15 or so from Mojo.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    cooldad wrote:
    Servicing is an easy job, half an hour tops (maybe a bit more the first time to study the internet) and a seal kit costs about £15.
    No special tools needed.
    No dilemma.

That's just an air sleeve service.

There's more to a service than just that... The damper is also bled/recharged with nitrogen when you send it in.

I'd sent it to TFTuned and get it pushed while you're at it, as it's still a helluva lot cheaper than a new shock.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Yeah, your right it does need a full service. One of the guys I night ride with was saying the same thing about having the existing shock pushed. That just confused me even more tbh!
    Are there any downsides to having a shock pushed?
    Cheers
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    It costs £50 extra, but it basically improves the damping specifically for your bike, everyone who gets it done says it's worth it. Give 'em a call at +44 (0)1373 826800 and have a chat about it.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Cheers Dude :wink: I will be giving them a call tmrw!
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Custom tuning makes such a huge difference and is worth every penny.
    I didn't have the push parts, and even without the difference was massive.

Getting the push parts supposed makes it a lot better.

this is a total win win.

p.s. boost valve was mostly marketing BS, I have heard more people dislike it than like. I asked for mine to be disabled.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?