protecting your chain stays

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
got my tricross err about 2 weeks ago now an have got loads ot tiny little chips where the chain has been wacking the stays

i normally use one of them lizard skin neoprene thingies on my mtb's should i use one on my tri? or will the lycra boys poke fun at me?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Do what you feel needs to be done.... but surprised your chain is touching the stays.... you using it on full on cross country routes then?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Why do you care what the "Lycra boys" think? :P

You must be taking your Tricross off of lots of sweet jumps, or your chain is too loose. If its the jumps, then you probably need a Lizardskin.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    mudcow - you are a lycra boy. stop being in denial.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    mudcow - you are a lycra boy. stop being in denial.

He's now a perve. He has realised his freedom.

So leave him alone 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    there is a cheaparse version, get an old, dead innertube, cut one end to wrap it round the stay, use cable ties to hold it all in place

cost nothing, function 100%
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    I have some thick carbon effect vinyl at work that I'm going to run through the plotter to make some chainstay guards. It's actually pretty good stuff and looks as much like carbon as I have ever seen a vinyl sheet.

It's molded with a carbon pattern embossed into it rather than printed on. I'll post some pictures when I get the two bikes done this week.
  • mudcow007
    right just back from a very fruitless trip to halfrauds.

reserved a standard sized black lizardskin got there they have my order, guys says i havent got your order yet hang on.....after 10mins he comes back an says i dunno where they are

damn you halfords!!

i want a cape made of neoprene!!!

the only offroad my bike has done so far is when i come off the road onto my driveway....plus after fitting the marathons its lacking grip
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    2/3 layers of clingfilm should keep it protected until you get your Lizard skin. In fact, I'd use the clingfilm in place of Lizard skin.

Wrap it tight and make sure no bubbles. It'll be invisible.
  • mudcow007
    whilst were on the subject, what do you guys use where your cable outters rub on the headtube etc?

i bought these badboys for my stinky as i thought they looked all swarve

Patches
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    PVC Electrical Tape - simple, and comes in loads of colours. Just cut each end rounded and it will be fine.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'm actually using reflective tape on my Ribble. It happens to match the red and black almost exactly, so it's discrete and makes more visible at the same time!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    fossyant wrote:
    PVC Electrical Tape - simple, and comes in loads of colours. Just cut each end rounded and it will be fine.

+1. Colour-matched insulting tape :-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    fossyant wrote:

+1. Colour-matched insulting tape :-)

My Madone came with little Trek stickers you attached where the cable rubs 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've got a small lizardkin neoprene chainstay protector on my Allex but my Tricross's chainstay still has the factory fitted stuck on chainstay protctor on it but it does chain of the right length on it.
    mudcow007 wrote:
    whilst were on the subject, what do you guys use where your cable outters rub on the headtube etc?

Bits of Helitape
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a sheet of genuine carbon fibre sticky backed, so that is cut a chainstay protector and into patches for cable rub at the head tube, very stealth on my black frame!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    Helicopter tape off eBay is your friend :wink:
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Chips on the chainstay? Time for a new bike :wink:
  • ricardo666
    ricardo666 Posts: 132
    An old inner tube and 2 or 3 cable ties
    If you fall off try again !

Trek EX8
    Handsome Dog XC01 with added ebay specials
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    When I get a chip in me paint job I just buy another bike.

Got quite a few old bikes stacked up in me shed now.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I reckon chainstay chips are badges of honour on a commuter. DOesn't pay to be too prissy. Might feel different if I was riding carbon (or even steel I soppose, at a push) but with ally? Meh.
  • mitb
    mitb Posts: 78