Sluggish bike - 2009 Lapierre Spicy 516

Gobs
Gobs Posts: 296
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
The bottom bracket. Is there a way to tell if it's not running smoothly under load or do you just wait until you can feel it grinding to know it's shot?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    spin it.

but reading your other topic it sounds more like user trying to find something to blame.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Gobs
    I am finding something to blame, I've ridden enough bikes to know when something's not right :lol:

It feels sluggish freewheeling but also there's a grainyness when pedalling, I'm not sure if it's the pedals or the BB. I've seen mention that the Lapierre aren't great for them
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Spin the pedals, spin the crank, it will be noticeable if they are stiff or grainy.
    Wouldn't make any difference to free wheeling though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    My bikes are always sluggish and it's got nothing to do with being tubby and unfit.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Uchiga
    Uchiga Posts: 230
    cooldad wrote:
    My bikes are always sluggish and it's got nothing to do with being tubby and unfit.

In which case it's a maintenence issue... Check all of the drive chain and all the spinning bits before you work out why your so sluggish, could ever be a rubbing brake though you'd hear that...
  • Gobs
    cooldad wrote:
    Wouldn't make any difference to free wheeling though.

Yes this was in addition to the freewheeling unfortunately. I'm not tubby or unfit so it's not that. It's not a rubbing disc pad as that's happened before. The pedals spin although not fantastically so (could be the design) and I'll try taking the chain off the crank and spinning it. I've only regreased it before, not cleaned it directly other than holding a cloth round it and pedalling to remove debris

In addition, Bracknell, one of my old neck of the woods, I was always at The Look Out on my solid state bike back in about 92-95, just using low tyre pressure to soak up the rocks Ahh the good old days :lol:
  • cooldad
    Uchiga wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

In which case it's a maintenence issue... Check all of the drive chain and all the spinning bits before you work out why your so sluggish, could ever be a rubbing brake though you'd hear that...

Sorry I was joking I am tubby and unfit. My bikes are not guilty.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Maybe it's just not a racing snake type bike.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    at 160mm travel, no its not.......but it shouldn't really feel sluggish either....

I have to say if its not freewheeling cleanly that would be the first thing to resolve, AIRC the spicy is an external BB, as most seem almost as robust as chocolate that would be a thing to consider.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Except the bb has nothing to do with freewheeling. I could be totally seized and the bike would still freewheel.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Gobs
    The freewheeling is sluggish, and also there's a slight grainyness under pedalling, so either some crap's got into the BB or the pedals
  • cooldad
    I don't understand sluggish. In another thread you say the wheels spin fine, the brakes don't bind.
    BB won't stop it freewheeling.

Has it always felt sluggish, or were you just expecting something else?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Gobs
    No this is a separate issue. Freewheeling it's slow. Aside from that there's grainyness from either the BB or the pedals, I'm just not sure which
  • cooldad
    Turn the pedals - grainy, there's your problem.
    Turn the BB - grainy, there's your problem.
    Turn the wheels - stiff, there's your problem.

Why is it so hard?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Zesty,Spicy and Froggie are Crackpierre lousiest bikes. All show but no content. Pathetic bikes with an outrageous pricetag.
    Stick with their road bikes or do not go beyond their XC rigs if that is the case.
    Specialized Tarmac Sworks
    Canyon Spectral 8.9
  • cooldad
    Zesty,Spicy and Froggie are Crackpierre lousiest bikes. All show but no content. Pathetic bikes with an outrageous pricetag.
    Stick with their road bikes or do not go beyond their XC rigs if that is the case.

We've all seen your previous thread - not biased are you?
    To balance - have a friend who rides his Zesty really hard, no problems, and having ridden it it's superb. Had me going faster than I normally ride straight away. Unfortunately out of my price range.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Turn the bike upside down spin the wheels, if they rotate freely, make no grinding noises, have no play in the bearings then there is nothing wrong with the freewheeling.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • cooldad
    Would appear the op has lost interest.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    i don't get why people slag of bikes or makes when its clearly down to the odd random component which is probably user at fault anyway.

meh
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I guess you've checked tyre pressures, makes any bike feel sluggish if they are at 5psi.... (exageration of course).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.