Shimano M776 XT wheels. A known problem?

Gobs
Gobs Posts: 296
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm sure I've read somewhere some issues with this wheelset, but I can't seem to find anything specfic. My bike feels sluggish, even down hill free wheeling, yet when I hold the back wheel off the ground and spin it it seems to run freely. They're on a 2009 Lapierre Spicy 516 and haven't even covered many miles (I was without a car and was not taking that on a train :lol:)

I don't want to potentially damage anything (plus I'm not sure of the tools involved), so would it be prudent to take the wheels to a LBS? I'd expect to be flying down hills on this bike and it's about as exciting as an episode of Songs Of Praise at the minute...

Comments

• camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Could be your brakes binding?
    maybe just rubbing when they get warm stop on a ride and spin both wheels to check
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    Could be the type of tyres, pressures and surfaces you are running on? Draggy tyres can feel slow going down as well as up, especially if the ground is muddy
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if they spin freely it aint your wheels/brakes it could be your tyres/pressures or just you.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Could be the brakes when they get warm worth checking when out on a ride
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport