Custom paint job?

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
A rare trip over to the Road Buying Advice sub-forum turned up this thread. Any thoughts of an 11-speed Alfine belt drive commuter with mud-guard mountings has now left by head and I'm looking at one of these

I'm thinking I could move the hardware from the Boardman over to this and then build a mean commuting machine. They do custom paint jobs, while naked carbon looks OK, I was thinking about what graphics to use. One of the guys over there has created some quick paint jobs (see 1/2 way down page 11) (one guy got this painted too, albeit in black and grey) and I was wondering about something similar, but with a proper, SCR logo. My graphic design skills suck, anyone on here fancy having a crack to inspire me, if nothing else?

I'm also thinking of something in Gulf racing colours but not sure how to show of the carbon bling with that that :twisted:
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I don't get it. First your thinking about an Alfine 11 speed belt drive as a commuter and now your looking at this? Your focus seems on what colour to choose rather than whether it would be good for the job intended. No mudguard clearance, no mudguard fixings, no rack fixings, racing geometry?? I know not everyones wants mudguards or racks but this frame is at the far end of the scale from what I would imagine you REALLY need (as oppose to want).

Personally I wouldn't entertain a carbon bike on Ebay from China, especially one that wouldn't suit my needs.

JMHO.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'm very impressed, gb155 has built himself a very nice light/carbon roadie for an amazing price.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,393
    As regards the paint job, keep it simple: two colours, one main colour, and a contrasting one for details - maybe picking out the head tube, or the tips of the forks and stays or perhaps just a couple of bands around the seat tube. Don't go for the flames/lightning bolts effect as this will look cheap. Also, it's obviously a carbon frame so you don't need to show that off (more classy too).

Did you mean that you would rebuild the Boardman frame as your commuter? Using the fancy CF frame for commuting seems a bit daft as discussed above.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Wrath Rob
    I don't get it. First your thinking about an Alfine 11 speed belt drive as a commuter and now your looking at this? Your focus seems on what colour to choose rather than whether it would be good for the job intended. No mudguard clearance, no mudguard fixings, no rack fixings, racing geometry?? I know not everyones wants mudguards or racks but this frame is at the far end of the scale from what I would imagine you REALLY need (as oppose to want).
    Fair points all. I'm just indulging a flight of fantasy at the moment.
    Personally I wouldn't entertain a carbon bike on Ebay from China, especially one that wouldn't suit my needs.JMHO.
    Have a read through the thread. There are some people who've been running these frames for thousands of miles with no issues. I'm not saying its the best frame in the world but for < £300...
  • essex-commuter
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Have a read through the thread. There are some people who've been running these frames for thousands of miles with no issues. I'm not saying its the best frame in the world but for < £300...

I can't disagree, but I do think I would personally feel a bit uncomfortable flying downhill at 40MPH+ on something made of carbon that cost <£300. Maybe I shouldn't think into things that much!
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    I get what you are saying about the "cheap" frames, But there was a very good post on that thread along the lines of "A £1000rrp carbon bike probably has a cost of £600+vat, What percentage of that budget is frame?"

Quite a valid point if I'm honest, I think these frames are good value and may not have the same ride quality as the big budget versions they replicate but I think they are a viable option for a cheaper nice bike. :)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I think gb155 has put this thought in quite a few heads. I've been looking at this and building the bike I want., but the OP's link include painting, which (even though I love raw carbon) may be a good idea.
    I've started looking at prices for groupsets, wheels etc and it looks like at least a few hundred pound saving on a ready made, similarly specced bike.

I think the OP is saying that he would buy the frame and put the parts from his current bike onto it, then use the frame from his current bike to build a commuter. Not using this frame for a commuter.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Wrath Rob
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I think the OP is saying that he would buy the frame and put the parts from his current bike onto it, then use the frame from his current bike to build a commuter. Not using this frame for a commuter.
    Hey Elton, good to meet you on Friday for a bit of F1 chat. What I was saying was that I'd take the components off of the current commuter and put them on the cheap carbon frame. There's no point me saving lots of £ and then buying wheels/chainset etc. I might have to change the casette and chain if they're getting near the end of their life but that's not the end of the world.

Anyway, back to the point of the thread. If you could have a custom paint job on a carbon frame, and liked the idea of including something SCR related, what would you have?
  • essex-commuter
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Anyway, back to the point of the thread. If you could have a custom paint job on a carbon frame, and liked the idea of including something SCR related, what would you have?

Plain white and just add little black bike stickers to the frame tubes for every scalp! Depending on your ability it would take between a week and 10 years before you had an all black bike, then you can buy white stickers and start again. :lol:
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Hey Elton,

Elton? I thought it was Elliott :roll:
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    JZed wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Hey Elton,

tongue in cheek - he meant elton john...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Plain white and just add little black bike stickers to the frame tubes for every scalp! Depending on your ability it would take between a week and 10 years before you had an all black bike, then you can buy white stickers and start again. :lol:

Self regulating too - as your fitness and hence scalp rate increases, so also does the weight of the bike due to the mass of the stickers!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Wrath Rob
    Nice idea, need some sort of road bike emblem with a red line through it, WWII fighter pilot style. Would be even better on a MTB!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    JZed wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Hey Elton,

Thats what Olive kept calling me (OK, twice).

I have generally have two topics of conversation in polite company: bikes and F1.
    I can bore for hours with or without an engine!

Back OT, I don't know what the actual design would be, but I would have something in black reflective tape. It looks black until it is illuminated by a bright light (e.g. headlight) and then it reflects like any other 3m Scotchlite product.
    Basically, a design you could only see at night.

If I were to get one of these frames, it would be to make into a Sunday Best bike. And the first tool I would buy would be a torque wrench!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!