Cycling with a bin bag on

smv
smv Posts: 6
edited April 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi All

Im new to mountain biking i am just looking to lose a bit of weight and build some strength up before going on longer rides. Do you think riding with a big bag underneath my bike gear will help me lose some much needed weight. Or am I wasting my time. I have started by doing 6-7 miles per night.

Comments

• concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Lol. Bin bags dont work. They make you sweat more. So you lose water weight and become dehydrated. That's it! Dont lose any fat. 6-7 miles isnt very far either.
  • smv
    ha ha thanks ,,,friggin is for me lol
  • Concorde wrote:
    Lol. Bin bags dont work. They make you sweat more. So you lose water weight and become dehydrated. That's it! Dont lose any fat. 6-7 miles isnt very far either.
    and thats putting it nicely i assume? :shock:
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • smv
    only had the bike 5 days giz a chance will ye
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    smv wrote:
    only had the bike 5 days giz a chance will ye
    I dunno, I think he's right. I mean 6-7 miles is -1 mile. That's one mile LESS of excercise than you'd done before getting on the bike :lol:

Keep it up, man, it'll get easier in time. Unfortunately, there's no real healthy shortcuts to losing weight.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    Lol it will come

Push up your speed lil by lil, take on a route with a bit of climbing and your legs will get stronger each ride

Then the distance will come

Fatty like me can do 15 mile maintenance rides few times a week then a couple of big rides 30-50 miles time permitting

If I can do it anyone can, just got to build up, if you haven't done much cycling before you are using whole new muscle groups so let them get used to it then punish them :P
  • Forget the bin bag try using clingwrap :wink:
  • smv
    Forget the bin bag try using clingwrap :wink:
    Now your getting kinky ha ha
  • mak3m
    Forget the bin bag try using clingwrap :wink:

That only works with mars bars man !!!!
  • concorde
    Apologies I did not mean it to sounds the way it did. Keep at it. You've only just started like you say. Don't bother with the bin bag though, especially not when it's warm. You'll end up having a clutcher!
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    People have died from exercising with bin bags or similar on because they think they're losing weight. Do NOT do it under any circumstances.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Bin bag covering the head/face, now thats a way of losing weight, guaranteed.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Don't just rely on your bathroom scales, you will be building muscle in your legs at the same time as losing fat which will make it seem like you're not losing weight.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • PaulBox wrote:
    Don't just rely on your bathroom scales, you will be building muscle in your legs at the same time as losing fat which will make it seem like you're not losing weight.

Yep, I injured my knee a couple of months back and wasn't able to do anything at all for almost eight weeks. In the meantime I gorged on fast food and biscuits to keep me sane. Weighed myself before doing any exercise again and I had lost four pounds... all turned from muscle into fat presumably.

The weight gain will come now that I have started getting out on the bike again.
  • concorde
    slackin101 wrote:
    PaulBox wrote:

Yep, I injured my knee a couple of months back and wasn't able to do anything at all for almost eight weeks. In the meantime I gorged on fast food and biscuits to keep me sane. Weighed myself before doing any exercise again and I had lost four pounds... all turned from muscle into fat presumably.

The weight gain will come now that I have started getting out on the bike again.

Physiologically impossible to turn muscle straight in to fat. Don't get confused.
  • mak3m
    Concorde wrote:
    slackin101 wrote:
    PaulBox wrote:

Physiologically impossible to turn muscle straight in to fat. Don't get confused.

no but muscle wastage can be fairly rapid with a sudden cessation of exercise
  • Cut the carbs out.

Weight loss guaranteed.
    I'm not fat, I'm big boned......
  • mak3m wrote:
    Concorde wrote:
    I injured my knee a couple of months back and wasn't able to do anything at all for almost eight weeks. In the meantime I gorged on fast food and biscuits to keep me sane. Weighed myself before doing any exercise again and I had lost four pounds...

no but muscle wastage can be fairly rapid with a sudden cessation of exercise

I understand (but I'm willing to be corrected as it is a hazy memory of something I was told in the pub) that following a regular pattern of exercise, muscles will store glycogen within them, so they have ready supply of energy for when you start exercising. This adds weight & bulk to the muscle.

When you cease regular exercise, the body uses the glycogen stored in the muscles but doesn't fully replace them. This reduces the weight & bulk of the muscle, giving the impression of rapid wastage of muscle but it isn't, your peak effort remains the same but your body would have to use glycogen stored elsewhere in the body (liver) which may shorten endurance.

It's in the weeks after that, that the actual muscles start to reduce and so peak effort is reduced.

Feel free to correct my errors...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Muscles do store glycogen, and well conditioned muscles will store more than those of us flabby types, but about the max following carbo loading would be around 750g, around twice the level for 'normal' people, but not enough to make any significant difference to bulk, as it is stored within the cells.
    Interesting article on carbo loading and water retention here.

http://www.marathontraining.com/articles/art_39th.htm
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    the binbag weight loss thing must have come from somewhere...

my suspicion is boxers skipping with bin bags on.

This is a very short term technique for when athletes in sports with weight categories, find themselves over the limit before the weigh in.

they lose enough liquid to weigh in under the limit but then replace it with liquid straight after.

It is not a weight loss technique...it is a temporary way of reducing your weight.....remember, a litre of water weighs a kilo.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • concorde
    Muscle wastes after about two weeks of cessation of training I used to feel. Obviously it's gradual, not just after two weeks it suddenly drops a bit.

The bag thing is as said above for water loss. Nothing more.
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    Cut the carbs out.

Weight loss guaranteed.

No carbs and mountain biking? Not a good mix I'd say.
  • Concorde wrote:

Sorry I was being flippant about how to describe a reduction in muscle masking an increase in fat, in weight terms at least.
  • tbh the binbag system does work.

though a better bet is to buy a "sweatsuit" which you can pickup cheap from most training shop outlets.

Simular thing but isnt as ugly and "omfg i forgot to empty the rubbish out of it" :shock:

sweat loss does mean you lose weight though water loss, boxers have been doing this for ages but it ISNT a weight loss system for "fat people" but more a training tool to help boxers lose weight before a fight so they weigh in on target.

Dont cutt out carbs, its a very bad idea, better bet is kick the junk food slowly and start small then get bigger steps with the fitness
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Trying to lose water is a particularly stupid idea if you are planning any sort of exercise, and it is not a 'training' tool. Simply a way of getting under a weight limit. As CEE already pointed out.
    Has no place in real life and could be potentially dangerous.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    As several people pointed out, it's water loss, not any sort of fitness or fat loss exercise and is, I point out again, dangerous even for professional athletes. More than one NFL player has died because of this sort of thing. DO NOT DO IT as it is a TEMPORARY weight loss which all goes back on when you have a drink.
  • smv
    Jibbed the bin bag and up my ride to 10 miles.Still feel good but gonna keep it at 7 miles a day for the next month then up it.Thanks for all the comments
  • concorde
    That's the spirit smv. You'll be upping it before the end of the month is out I bet!