Viking Ride 2011 - South East of Ireland

mickmc9
mickmc9 Posts: 17
New event on this years sportive calendar in Ireland - Viking Ride 2011
http://www.vikingride.com/
Entry now open

2 Routes - The Warrior 150k & The Longship 100k

There's a 7 minute ferry trip on the routes - makes it a little unique.

Start / Finish is just 1 hours drive from the ferry in Rosslare for those of you in the UK who might be interested in coming over for this one.

Comments

• mickmc9
    Halfords are setting up 3 stations each manned by 4 mechanics. The Broomwagon will bring there, and you can continue on with the rest of the route.

It will be a mass start, going through the viking triangle of Waterford City and along the Quays. The rest of the route is mostly rural. Participants will have the pleasure of decending rather than climbing the category 1 @ Woodstock into the picturesque village of Inistioge.

Keep your powder dry for the first 35k to really enjoy the spin.
  • dexradio
    dexradio Posts: 54
    Looks great!

I live in the UK but am originally from Sligo, not sure I'll make it this year, but I'd love to do this one sometime. Wonder what the road surface is like? I'll probably be visiting around August, so will need to find something else to do while visiting :)

Good luck with the event, wish I could join you, but perhaps next year :)

Dex.
  • mickmc9
    Hi Dex,

The road surface for the 100k is good to very good for the most part. Part of the surface coming down off Tory Hill ( 2nd climb ) a little rough in places, but nothing more.
    The road surface for the 150k is the same with the exception of 10k, 5k either side of Fethard-on-Sea, this section is very rough rather than being littered with pot holes.
    Again the rest of the surface is quiet good.

Mick
  • mickmc9
    Shameless bump......I know, but there's only there's only
    6 days to go
    5 climbs having gradients reaching 20%
    4 Decents exceeding speeds of 70km/h
    3 Food stops
    2 Routes
    1 Ferry