Halfords problems - boardman pro

karlosw29
karlosw29 Posts: 5
edited April 2011 in MTB general
Just bought a Boardman Pro 2011 HT - teeth on the front chainring seem randomly stubby and the others pointed on the outer ring - I know Halfords "mechanics" don't have a great rep but thought I'd give them a try! The other teeth on the inner ring seem fine as do the rear rings, any ideas?

What do you guys think?
Thanks[/img][/list]

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds normal.

teeth are not uniform and are shaped to aid shifting.

and how would it be a Halfords issue?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Looks as it should to me

as Nicklouse said, teeth are not uniform and are shaped to aid shifting
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I would have said the same as nicklouse, but looking at the pic's it does look like it's goosed.

Take it back to where you bought it from and see what they say? Have you ridden it much?
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • It's never been ridden, this is straight out of the box but looks goosed to me too.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Looks fine to me, I can only echo what AndyB and Nicklouse said.
    And if this were an issue (which it isn't), how would this have anything to do with any of the mechanics at halfords?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Two of the teeth in photo 0322 are supposed to be flat but they still are missing some metal.

If that's out of the box then take it back because it needs a new outer ring.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    edited April 2011
    I wish I could link to the photos, but I can see the teeth that are designed to be stubby, but some of them definitely look damaged to me.

If somebody knows how to show this picture, the third tooth from the left looks fine, but the first and second from the left look damaged.
    9vWUMk

It might just be where they've been setting up the gears and the chain has taken the paint off.

Go in to the shop and check out display models to see if they look the same.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looks fine to me.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ilovedirt
    They're fine.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • nicklouse wrote:
    looks fine to me.

+1

looks normal, nothing to worry about :)
  • :) Thanks for the advice - Was worrying because the paint was off already even before I'd even ridden it and just ephasised the flatter teeth I guess.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    I've had a good look and it looks OK to me. Maybe it's the coating that's worn off (probably by factory testing) the teeth that makes it look worse.

I've FSA on my Kona Jake and it's a similar pattern to that chainring. I've just gone downstairs to check.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • ilovedirt
    karlosw29 wrote:
    :) Thanks for the advice - Was worrying because the paint was off already even before I'd even ridden it and just ephasised the flatter teeth I guess.
    Probably as the mechanic was indexing the gears etc.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    Looks exactly the same as on the FSA site except the paints worn off a bit.

I doubt you'll notice it once you've it a bit & the whole ring is worn to the bare metal ;)
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Looks exactly the same as on the FSA site except the paints worn off a bit.

I doubt you'll notice it once you've it a bit & the whole ring is worn to the bare metal ;)

Yeah, you can see the stubby teeth at the 12, 7 and 10:30 o'clock positions.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • paul_75
    paul_75 Posts: 61
    looks like the teeth on my boardman comp, i though some were worn until i seen you guys say some are ment to be like that, iv been moaning about my bike for nothing :lol: