Dart 3 29er and 180mm rotor

s4k1s
s4k1s Posts: 15
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm in the process of upgrading my crappy shimano branded mechanical disk brakes 160mm/160mm of my Gary Fisher. I've decided to go for the SLX hydraulics 180mm/160mm. The problem is that at SRAM's site my bike's fork, the Dart 3 29", is rated for a max rotor size of 160mm. Is there gonna be any problem if I mount a 180mm shimano rotor at front?? I would appreciate any info especially from someone that has actually done this. Thanks in advance

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Could be a problem with the warranty if they break.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    If the fork snaps, put a 160mm rotor on and say that's how it was.

Doubt it will though, an iffy front wheel landing will put much more force on it than a slightly bigger rotor. You may feel it flex a bit though, as it isn't a very stiff fork in the first place
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • s4k1s
    s4k1s Posts: 15
    Well idd I can already feel the flex even with my current 160mm rotor. The fork sucks big time, but my choices are slim, especially with that Fisher's G2 geometry with more offset. nvm though.. the new rotor is gonna be an XT one with really small weight difference compared to my current one. I hope the difference in the flex won't be noticeable..
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    You'll only notice it when braking hard. I'd keep an eye out for a SH G2 fork as your next upgrade.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Count yourself lucky you have a Dart, the total lack of control will mean you are unable to ride fast and therefore will not need to brake hard.

Be careful about upgrading the disk size. Darts are not only very flexy, they are prone to seizing when they twist. If you brake too hard, not only will the wheel twist, there is a change the front will lock out as well. This is not good as there was probably a reason you were braking hard in the first place!

On a plus side, Shimano brakes tend to be quite weak compared to most makes, so not as serious an issue as with a formula brake.

There are great deals out there on Manitou Drakes and RS Tora. You will notice the improvment more than a new brake.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?