Epic FAIL or crafty bodge

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Normally I take a great deal of care when it comes to bike building and maintenance HOWEVER recently I've rebuild my old commuter FGSS into a classic old skool racer again, just in time for the tweed run.

it had an el crapO tange 1" headset which frankly looked like it came from Frankenstein's monsters neck, being a tart I shelled out on a new 1" campag record headset - sweet delicious thing of beauty that it is, all good so far out with the old cups and bearings and in with the new, quill stem set-up but waiting what's this the final nut (see pic) doesn't fit - arrrhhhh stack height is too big for my forks :cry:

RE_sterzo-Tradizionale.jpg

So the question is do I ride the bike with this bodge or replace the recently resprayed forks for longer ones that wont match the colour or style?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Ah! :cry:

That'll be why my LBS kept a bit on with spacers when I got the steerer cut - just in case of differing headset heights, or a change in preference in riding position.

Too late for you unfortunately but there is a lesson for others to be learned here.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,393
    So the steerer is too short - i.e. not enough thread sticking out at the top to properly engage the locknut?

Well, the locknut shouldn't be taking the load - it's just to stop the top race loosening off - so that would suggest you could make do, but you are always going to have to keep checking that it's not worked loose, and you won't be able to tighten the locknut much as that'll just strip the thread.

If the steerer is too short to engage the locknut at all then your just hoping that the top race won't work loose, which it will, closely followed by hitting a bump and trashing your £60 nearly new headset.

Has sir considered alternative 1" headsets? Perhaps Stronglight or dare I say it Dura Ace? Or a rummage on ebay for something suitably retro.

Makes mental note to check stack height before buying headset for Mercian.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Have you made sure that the fork race is properly seated at the very base of the steerer, and that you've pressed the cups into the frame sufficiently with no gaps? If you can fettle the install, you may just manage to get enough thread for the locknut to grip.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    itboffin wrote:
    Normally I take a great deal of care when it comes to bike building and maintenance HOWEVER recently I've rebuild my old commuter FGSS into a classic old skool racer again, just in time for the tweed run.

it had an el crapO tange 1" headset which frankly looked like it came from Frankenstein's monsters neck, being a tart I shelled out on a new 1" campag record headset - sweet delicious thing of beauty that it is, all good so far out with the old cups and bearings and in with the new, quill stem set-up but waiting what's this the final nut (see pic) doesn't fit - arrrhhhh stack height is too big for my forks :cry:

RE_sterzo-Tradizionale.jpg

So the question is do I ride the bike with this bodge or replace the recently resprayed forks for longer ones that wont match the colour or style?

A friend of mine had exactly this problem when he rebuilt his "Sportif" bike. He still has the jewel of a headset in his house (I suspect it is in a small display case on the mantlepiece...). His lovely Italian steel framed bike has an alternative headset.. Not that anyone ever notices.
    Sadly I fear this is the route you must follow. It would be wrong to change the forks, and wrong to ride the bodge. An alternative headset must be sought and the Record must be preserved for another project.
    Unless you wear out or crash-damage the forks, of course, but doing this deliberately would be vandalism... Your soul would be blackened.

Cheers,
    W.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Dead easy - get Spa cycles to supply one of these to fit (or whatever they have which will fit) : http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/strongli ... 55188.html

Then build an n+1 around the Record headset :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itboffin
    rjsterry wrote:
    So the steerer is too short - i.e. not enough thread sticking out at the top to properly engage the locknut?

Well, the locknut shouldn't be taking the load - it's just to stop the top race loosening off - so that would suggest you could make do, but you are always going to have to keep checking that it's not worked loose, and you won't be able to tighten the locknut much as that'll just strip the thread.

If the steerer is too short to engage the locknut at all then your just hoping that the top race won't work loose, which it will, closely followed by hitting a bump and trashing your £60 nearly new headset.

Has sir considered alternative 1" headsets? Perhaps Stronglight or dare I say it Dura Ace? Or a rummage on ebay for something suitably retro.

You are correct the steerer is too short however it wasn't that long with the old headsets, as it's a quill stem i've tighten it so there's little chance of the bars coming loose.

but there's more .....

this all might not have been a problem had I managed to properly seat the crown race washer :oops: alas even amongst my awesome array of tools I do not have a bench vice so smashing the campag washer into place didn't go as planned.

Bodge = FAIL

Worse case I fall off on route or during the tweed run, this could happen anyway. That or I scrap the retro plans and go all modern carbon forks and seat post etc.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Have you made sure that the fork race is properly seated at the very base of the steerer, and that you've pressed the cups into the frame sufficiently with no gaps? If you can fettle the install, you may just manage to get enough thread for the locknut to grip.

Bingo! that totally what I haven't done :(
  • itboffin wrote:
    Have you made sure that the fork race is properly seated at the very base of the steerer, and that you've pressed the cups into the frame sufficiently with no gaps? If you can fettle the install, you may just manage to get enough thread for the locknut to grip.

Winks and salutes to the assembled hordes of fettle-fans.

As an aside, I have the threadless version of the Record headset on the new Genesis. It really is an absolute joy in use, the only pain is that I wobble a lot more when riding one-handed as it's so damn smooth.
  • itboffin
    Rolf F wrote:
    Dead easy - get Spa cycles to supply one of these to fit (or whatever they have which will fit) : http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/strongli ... 55188.html

That's what I took off
  • rjsterry
    itboffin wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

You are correct the steerer is too short however it wasn't that long with the old headsets, as it's a quill stem i've tighten it so there's little chance of the bars coming loose.

but there's more .....

this all might not have been a problem had I managed to properly seat the crown race washer :oops: alas even amongst my awesome array of tools I do not have a bench vice so smashing the campag washer into place didn't go as planned.

Bodge = FAIL

Worse case I fall off on route or during the tweed run, this could happen anyway. That or I scrap the retro plans and go all modern carbon forks and seat post etc.

Oh for the love of... I should not be reading those two words in the same sentence!

I'm fairly sure a bench vice is cheaper than a Record headset <checks> yep.

Threaded steerers are usually just the right length. My Giant has a 1.5mm thick crappy reflector bracket/washer between the top race and locknut which I have to keep as other wise the locknut hits the top of the steerer before it tightens onto the top race.

Surely there's some rule against carbon on the tweed run?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

Winks and salutes to the assembled hordes of fettle-fans.

As an aside, I have the threadless version of the Record headset on the new Genesis. It really is an absolute joy in use, the only pain is that I wobble a lot more when riding one-handed as it's so damn smooth.

Yup I have the 1 1/8 record on my carbon ribble beautiful work of art, even the fold out packaging it comes in, butter smooth too.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    itboffin wrote:

Plastic plumbing pipe and a mallet? WORKSFORME (tm)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited April 2011
    itboffin wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

That's what I took off

Dunno why I linked to JE James - this is better: http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... b2s115p489

Anyway, nowt wrong with a Stronglight A9. Not as pretty as the Campag I admit but less than half the price and nobody else would notice! Certainly not an el crappo!

stronglight_a9CartridgeB_headset.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rjsterry
    Also it has what looks like a fairly thick washer - which could be swapped fro something thinner - between the race and locknut.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• itboffin
    I might have a fettle in a minute just finish off this glass of red :wink:
  • itboffin
    My OCFD got the better of me, headset now perfect, black finishing tape on bars replaced with red and front brake fettled.
  • rjsterry
    Thank goodness for that. All this talk of 'smashing' the campag was a bit worrying. Also spotted this

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/headsets.html

Not quite Campy, but pretty all the same.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• itboffin
    Not only did I discover 6 crown race spacer/washer things amongst my spares but also the clearance from the front brake to the underside of said spacer/washer was very small, lucky I have a stash of brake spacers, much cleaner now.

Oh and I also trimmed the brake cables ready for caps. Now all I need is a suitable period water bottle.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    itboffin wrote:
    ....... Now all I need is a suitable period water bottle.

fresh_fruit_tart_jpg.jpg
    Misguided Idealist
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    itboffin wrote:
    ...Now all I need is a suitable period water bottle.

half_yard_of_ale_glass.jpg

It holds 700ml and comes with a wooded mount. Perfect (apart from the inevitable spillage unless you neck some as you leave).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• itboffin
    Had two pootles around the block mmmmm smooth ride ....

*rubs thighs* 8)