Help with rear shock

p3eps
p3eps Posts: 7
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Firstly - Hi everyone! I've been looking over the forum for a while for help in buying my bike and equipment - and now I'm in need of a bit of advice!

I've decided to get back into biking after many years of absence - so have bought a new bike as mine was ancient.

After reading reviews and getting advice, I opted for a 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Elite.

It has the Fox Brain rear shock - but I'm having doubts as to whether I've got it set up right, as this is my first full suspension bike.

On Saturday I went out for a ride and ended up jumping off a 3 foot wall - which bottomed out the shock. I originally set it up as per the manual - and weighing approx 13 stone, it suggested about 220psi.
I discovered when I got home on Saturday by messing around in the street that I could get the shock indicator (rubber band) to go from none to full by simply bunnyhopping. I assumed that the pressure was too low - so I stuck another 10psi in it. Again, the same thing - so I kept topping it up in 10psi increments until I'm currently at 250psi. I can still move the indicator from top to bottom my bunnyhopping - and am dubious about inflating it much more.

The sag seemed to be about right as per the manual at about 15-20% when I had it set at 220psi... and now I've got it up to 250psi its not too much less.

Any ideas? Is this normal? Should I keep pumping it up? I *think* it can go to about 320psi if I want (although my shock pump will only do 300psi!).

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    The initial set-up is for your riding weight not your standing starkers in the bathroom weight. :)

Then adjust the sag as per manual for fine tuning.

Shocks are designed to bottom out.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • p3eps
    p3eps Posts: 7
    robertpb wrote:
    The initial set-up is for your riding weight not your standing starkers in the bathroom weight. :)

Then adjust the sag as per manual for fine tuning.

Shocks are designed to bottom out.

Thanks for the reply...

I did weigh myself in my riding shorts, top and shoes - so it should be about right.
    I've been on the Fox website trying to find out more info - and they recommend about 10mm of sag... and going up in 5psi increments.
    The Specialized manual suggests my weight should be approx 220-230psi.

I was just a bit concerned about how easily I can get it to bottom out. I suppose in most trail riding I'll rarely be dropping on it like I did on Saturday.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Shock set-up is a very personal thing.

I've had several Fox air shocks & have always found the suggested manufacturers settings are usually ok as a 'starter for 10', but ended up with a significantly higher pressure once I'd tuned it to my preference.

Personally, I would not expect to be able to bottom out a shock just by bunny-hopping.

A shock set up optimally for general XC/Trail use will be very likely to bottom out on big drops - if you're regularly dropping off of 3-foot walls, run the shock at a higher pressure.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    it is possible you may have damaged it by jumping off a 3 ft wall when it was not pumped up enough.

if it is giving the right amount of sag for the air pressure corresponding to your wieght, then all is ok - depending on the shock and how hard it is compress i.e. how heavy and how hard you jump you can expect it to bottom out.