Shock Mounting Hardware and Bushings

Torres
Torres Posts: 1,266
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, i need a bit of help.

I'm after mountin a rockshox monarch 4.2 on an orange patriot frame. When i bought the shock the description said it didn't come with hardware, so i've had a look at the TF Tuned website and read the guide on how to meaure what size kit i need. I get all this.

Now i've had a look at the shock today and i can see what looks like a metal ring in each eye of the shock;
dsc00939qg.jpg
dsc00940g.jpg

Are these bushings? or do i install the bushings inside these metal rings?

Sorry if this is a daft question. But it's my first time dealing with full suss so i need a point in the right direction.

:) Cheers
What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    those are the DU bushes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Torres
    Thank you very much Nic.

Looking at the TFT website i've seen this:
    mt_kit_HD.jpg

Now DU bushes are part of the standard kit, which TFT don't sell.
    Would i be able to purchase the heavy duty kit and use the DU bushes with the large axel pin?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    that kit uses the Eyelet bushing. just another name for a DU bushing. so you will need an extraction and fitting tool.

the DU and polymer bushes "may" have different IDs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Torres
    nicklouse wrote:
    that kit uses the Eyelet bushing. just another name for a DU bushing. so you will need an extraction and fitting tool.

the DU and polymer bushes "may" have different IDs.

Ok... so i need to remove the bushings in my shock and replace them with the ones in the kit?
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    maybe... if they are worn. Otherwise the fitting kit would just push into those DU bushes.

Fitting kit for a patriot is M6 x 22mm both ends I seem to think... double check though.
  • Torres
    Cheers *AJ*. i doubt they'll be worn as the shock's brand new.

How easy is it to fit the axle pin? The TFT webbie says you can do it with just a vice, just wondering if you have any experience of it?
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    Have you got the original shock?

If it was a 5th Element or Fox the hardware is the same. I had a 5th element on my Patriot and changed ta a Monarch 3.3 and just swapped the mounting hardware over
    RS Monarch/Vivid, Fox and 5th Element all use 1/2"x1/2" mounts
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er