The Bike Fixer

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Any of you SW London / Surrey types used The Bike Fixer for your fettling needs? In order to get the new bike built for this weekend I'm thinking of getting him to do it. He said he'll either come to my house and do it in the evening or take it away and bring it back the following evening.

Any feedback on him?
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    do report back if you do use him.

you ever been into Neil's Wheels?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,359
    Sorry, hang on a minute: you invite this Bike Fixer - i.e. another man - into your house to do some bike fettling? What if the wife/GF sees him? Before you know it she'll be asking him if he can get the lid off a jam jar, and then what? That's you totally undermined and no longer The One-who-fixes-stuff, that's what.

It's bad enough having to use a GasSafe plumber for the boiler without this!

Muttermuttermutterendofcivilizationasweknowitmuttermutter
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • asprilla
    rjsterry wrote:
    Sorry, hang on a minute: you invite this Bike Fixer - i.e. another man - into your house to do some bike fettling? What if the wife/GF sees him? Before you know it she'll be asking him if he can get the lid off a jam jar, and then what? That's you totally undermined and no longer The One-who-fixes-stuff, that's what.

It's bad enough having to use a GasSafe plumber for the boiler without this!

Muttermuttermutterendofcivilizationasweknowitmuttermutter

My house if I attempt DIY:

brush1.jpg

I'm not the guy who fixes stuff. I'm the guy in the back garden drinking wine and smoking a cigar whilst the staff do their jobs.

CC; never been into Neil's Wheels, I didn't even know it was there!

I have used East Street and will generally avoid them for any work, and I've just Freeborn in Esher who are really MTB, but they do a good job and offer great service.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,359
    Now, see, that just looks like a project to me. This is sometimes a bit of a problem for me: I tend to hover over the shoulder of the plumber to see if really I should have manned up and done it myself - must be a bit off-putting. Mind you, I have had to lend the last two tradesmen several tools (much to my satisfaction). Good grief what is wrong with me?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • eddys
    eddys Posts: 66
    I used him for a frame swap over. Very good service and reasonable prices. I would use him again.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    This might be relevant to my interests, does anyone have any ballpark prices on jobs hes done for them? Does he have a website?
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • asprilla
    He came to mine a 7pm on the Monday, picked up a frame and lots of boxes of bits and then came back at 7pm the following night with a perfectly built and set up bike. £100 all in.

His website is bikefixer.co.uk but it's not very good.

Very impressed with his service and prices. I'm certainly not using my LBS again as this guy is better and a he'll of a lot more convenient.

He used to run Prologue Bikes until recently when he fell out with his business partner.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rjsterry wrote:
    : I tend to hover over the shoulder of the plumber to see if really I should have manned up and done it myself - must be a bit off-putting. Good grief what is wrong with me?

I will try fixing most things
    I look at it this way
    It's broke I'll try to fix it, and save money If i fail i will have to call someone out and just may be embarrassed by a pile off bits

rather than It's broke call some one out at cost then realize I could have fixed it doh
    Not that bad but bad enough for me
    Route1.jpg
  • Hi Guys

Just joined the bike radar website and forum and came accross your posts.

The guy your looking for is me !! and my website is http://www.thebikefixer.com and we are based in East Molesey but cover all of SW london and North Surrey as far down as Guildford.

We also cover a number of sportives, just recently did the Spring Onion in March and we are down to do the SW club flyer in May, so hopefully might meet you guys there. Any way apologies for the plug but if I can help anyone please feel free to call.

Enjoy the great weather and hit the road. :D:D

David
  • asprilla
    Top guys; built up my CR1 and then did an emergency service / true of my Racing 1's prior to the Dragon including dropping them off at 7am of the morning I was heading over to Wales. Great service.

Edit; OT anyone signed up for the May Flyer? I'm doing the long one this year.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I built up my bike in a few hours, and you seemed to be more handy than me? Or is it that you were lazy? lol
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • asprilla
    I can build a bike in a few hours but those hours won't all be in a row. Took me 10 days to build the Burls.

Also, I wanted the CR1 to be perfect. Whenever I build anything it's always 99% right, never 100%.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Now this is what I could have done with in SE London. :(
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:
    I can build a bike in a few hours but those hours won't all be in a row. Took me 10 days to build the Burls.

Also, I wanted the CR1 to be perfect. Whenever I build anything it's always 99% right, never 100%.

+1. Just dropped the new frame and bits in for building. I'm not cutting or bonding anything. I'm cack-handed at best. As Dirty Harry said, a man's got to know his limitations.

Good to know about the BF.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."