Superstar plasma chain guide, not lining up

1st_aide
1st_aide Posts: 11
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I'm having trouble lining up my Sperstar plasma chain guide. Are there any instructions on line?

Set up:
Ragley Mmmbop
XT hollow tech cranks
Hope BB
32t e-thirteen chainring

I've filed off the granny ring mounts from the XT cranks. I've used the ISGC B adapter, no spacing washers and the ring in the middle ring position.
The guide still needs to come closer to the frame (see link to pictures):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14916726@N07/5588579974/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14916726@N07/5587986441/

Any ideas?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what width is the BB?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Either it's an old one with a 68mm bb shell in which case you need a BB spacer each side, or just fit your ring to the outer position, shim the plasma out and you're good to go.
  • 1st_aide
    It is a 68mm BB. It came 2nd hand as a frame with BB so it's possible that they put in the wrong size but I don't see how this would affect it.
  • 1st_aide
    Thanks I didn't think of putting a BB spacer on the outside of the ISCG adapter but inside the BB cup. That will get me the extra space but make the chain line a bit further out than I would like.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    68mm so yes you need an extra spacer on the drive side and one on the none drive side.

so to fix your problem and give you the correct 50mm chain line fit the spacer between the adapter and the cup.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 1st_aide
    Thanks guys, will fit a spacer later.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Yup exactly as nick said, your missing a spacer.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had the same problem with my On-One & couldn't get it spot on with the spacers, I fitted a Renthal chain ring which is thicker than the shimano ones & it is perfect.