Avid Juicy 3 Brake Help

Ghuraba
Ghuraba Posts: 2
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there

I have a slight problem and am not sure what to do.

I have avid juicy 3 brakes and the rear brake lever has completely gone soft and there is no braking power. I did notice at the back where the brake system is is some clear liquid had leaked from the drum (not sure what to call it) Seems the two nuts were slightly lose so I presume brake fluid had leaked out. How do I fix this?

Thanks

Michael

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tighten it all up. and get the system bled.

sounds like someone has been undoing bolts that should not be undone. there is a good chance that new pads will also be needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If fluid has leaked out, there will now be air in the system, so it needs a bleed.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    DOT brake fluid is nasty stuff & makes a fantastic paint stripper. Be sure to douse anywhere that fluid has leaked onto with plenty of water ASAP to limit the damage.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • pugaltitude
    pugaltitude Posts: 191
    I had the same problem with mine.
    When I was out biking, the lever would fade after braking for a long time and then go harder once everything had cooled down.
    The fluid was leaking from lever area and paint had bubbled.
    Tightened the screws and got the brakes bled.
    Ok now.