I've got my big ring back

2»

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    So now he's just D? He needs to be careful or his username will disappear entirely...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I think he's just Daddy, having lost the Don and the D... which according to speculation may be fairly accurate.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,393
    I'm not so sure. I think it might be work related, hence the question in the 'fight' thread about how an employer might look upon being caught fighting in the street. Could be though.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jonginge
    :lol::lol: Makes perfect sense
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    rjsterry wrote:
    I'm not so sure. I think it might be work related, hence the question in the 'fight' thread about how an employer might look upon being caught fighting in the street. Could be though.
    Nah, there's was also the case of the edited post*... ;)

* I realise this doesn't narrow it down much
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Right, here we go, my confession: I don't always do my own fettling. However it's been 7 months since one of my bikes last visited the LBS. So I'm hanging on to my masculine self-image by my fingernails (not professionally manicured at that).

Seriously, I change tyres, tubes, pads, chains, cassettes, chain rings, adjust brakes... I even fitted a chain set once. But every year I get the LBS to strip the bike down, regrease everything, change bearings, change cables. I'm pretty busy in the week and I've learned from bitter experience that at the weekend "I'll just do it myself, how long can it take?" generally ends up with swearing, frustration and kids who are mighty p1ssed off that I'm wrestling with bike bits rather than playing with them.

And if you think a visit to the bike shop for maintenance is a walk of shame you should try having your house rebuilt. The builders are just putting the finishing touches to what is now an almost totally new house. Every time I reach for a power tool to just do a little job, some professional with years of experience and all the right kit steps in and does it in a tenth of the time it would take me. It's humbling I tell you.

J
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    He's just "the daddy" then don't think he deserves capitals either...

Beaten by a mouse in his house, beaten by his bike on the roads, severely beaten on here by various parties :D. His wallet's beaten by various bike shops.

Is there anywhere he actually reigns with his power awesome anymore? Will 2011 be the year they had to ask who killed the daddy...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821

Beaten by a mouse in his house, beaten by his bike on the roads, severely beaten on here by various parties :D. His wallet's beaten by various bike shops.

Is there anywhere he actually reigns with his power awesome anymore? Will 2011 be the year they had to ask who killed the daddy...

LOL.

I'm now getting funny looks in the office.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Did I miss something in the explanation? DDD doesn't strike me as someone who would have changed his chain after the original work.

Nope, about 2-3 years ago I replaced the original crank with an ultegra one. The original was an 8speed truative crank. The Ultegra 10speed. The chain/s has always been 8speed. I only found this out when I collected the bike.

I didn't however replace any parts after my January repair.
    LiT wrote:
    Was he not losing the 'D' for his non-attendance at the Morpeth on Friday?
    Yeah sorry about that chaps. End of April, promise!

:lol::lol::lol:

BUT!
    Jedster wrote:
    Right, here we go, my confession: I don't always do my own fettling. However it's been 7 months since one of my bikes last visited the LBS. So I'm hanging on to my masculine self-image by my fingernails (not professionally manicured at that).

Seriously, I change tyres, tubes, pads, chains, cassettes, chain rings, adjust brakes... I even fitted a chain set once. But every year I get the LBS to strip the bike down, regrease everything, change bearings, change cables. I'm pretty busy in the week and I've learned from bitter experience that at the weekend "I'll just do it myself, how long can it take?" generally ends up with swearing, frustration and kids who are mighty p1ssed off that I'm wrestling with bike bits rather than playing with them.

And if you think a visit to the bike shop for maintenance is a walk of shame you should try having your house rebuilt. The builders are just putting the finishing touches to what is now an almost totally new house. Every time I reach for a power tool to just do a little job, some professional with years of experience and all the right kit steps in and does it in a tenth of the time it would take me. It's humbling I tell you.

I'm not alone. I attempted to change a light switch because the old one was flickering. Couldn't do it/couldn't be bothered to figure it out. The landlord got an electrician in and we learned there was nothing wrong with light switch. I had the wrong energy saving lightbulb, I needed ones that go with dimmer switches. Who knew....

:lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I had the wrong energy saving lightbulb, I needed ones that go with dimmer switches. Who knew....

I could have told you that. For the low, low price of just £75 for the initial check, then some follow up inspections at £50 each.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    ....there was nothing wrong with light switch. I had the wrong energy saving lightbulb, I needed ones that go with dimmer switches. Who knew....

Umm, anyone who read the box?

Cheers,
    W.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    ....there was nothing wrong with light switch. I had the wrong energy saving lightbulb, I needed ones that go with dimmer switches. Who knew....

Umm, anyone who read the box?

Cheers,
    W.

or those of us who know such things any way, being sad hairy gits
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Those of us with the special CFLs that go with our dimmer switches.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.