Narrrsty!!!

redrobbo
redrobbo Posts: 727
edited April 2011 in The bottom bracket
Now I love a good descent (83km/h is my PB), but in my experience, such as it is, some descents are vicious things that can bite you in the bum.

Anything going down into Pateley Bridge is likely to be vicious asthis story seems to show

I've no idea who the guy was, but I do hope his recovery is a good 'un.

Comments

• upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Whilst overtaking a car !!! Ouch !
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    I hate decending.. at speed. The fear of meeting a 4x4 driven by an unattentive driver slows me to a snails pace. Hope the bloke gets well enough to ride again... just shows how one mistake can land you in BIG trouble.
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    He must have being going near 50mph, I'd never overtake a car at that.
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    Thats a friend of mine.He was riding his s works at the time.
    Unfortunately he can be a bit maverik at times and got bored with the pace the group were going at and left them. Apparently he overtook the car, but a car coming the other way unsettled him and he clipped a kerb before going over the bars, hitting a road sign and then a wall :shock: He is stable in hospital now. He broke his femur and hips and will probably need grafts on his backside

A long road to recovery ahead.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Both hips ?

Gee's that's some smash dude,Wish him a speedy recovery from me... :shock:
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Iv'e rode down that road twice before, both times with fingers on the brake levers, very scary as you cannot see to far ahead due to the twists, apart from the final approach into Pateley Bridge, but then again there is a junction at the bottom so it should be approached with great caution.
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    Both hips ?

Gee's that's some smash dude,Wish him a speedy recovery from me... :shock:

Not 100% sure im getting the info secondhand at the moment. Will hopefully pop up and see him soon.
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    Whoa, overtaking a car :shock: Hope the guys gets better soon
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    ouch :(
    hopefully swift recovery soon
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I know that road; quite a drop into the junction. Good luck to him & his recovery.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    CiB wrote:
    I know that road; quite a drop into the junction. Good luck to him & his recovery.

+1. Sounds a bit horrible. Might be lucky he hit the road sign rather than going straight into the wall........

Actually, I nearly went down that way on Saturday but in the end found another route entirely. I've only been up hill on the main road before.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    Im pretty certain I know which road it is, and one I have been down a few times before.

I love to descend at speed. but that is one that I always held back on, as if its the one im thinking of, visibility for what ahead is not great, plus you have to pretty much come to a halt at the bottom for a junction!

Hope he gets well!