Something wrong with front mech

canada16
canada16 Posts: 2,360
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey

I have a XT top swing mech, and for some reason it wont shift the cogs up or down.

Had a quick look as am at work and wire still there, and it has not shifted.

I cant understand why its not moving the chain.

Oh also when I am pressing the levers, the mech is still moving side to side.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, and probably a dumb question, I am full of them :oops:

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    So it's stuck in the middle ring?
  • canada16
    Sorry yes stuck in the middle ring.
  • Anonymous
    has somebody mesed with the limit screws? Is the cable snagged somewheer, like a large king in the outer or soemthing?
  • canada16
    No it was ok half way to work, then just seemed like something snapped or something like that, but could not see anything.

No one has access to my bike. so not too sure.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like a dead shifter.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • canada16
    Anyway of fixing that nick ?

Am at work with no tools, and when I pedal its like something is clicking.

when I press the shifter its moving side to side.

Thanks again.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    canada16 wrote:

Am at work with no tools, and when I pedal its like something is clicking.

when I press the shifter its moving side to side.

Thanks again.

what is clicking.

what is moving.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • canada16
    Sorry the front mech is moving side to side when I press the levers.

But when I pedal, it seems like the chain is stuck somewhat, when pedaling, its like the chain is clicking, likes its stuck in a gear and has not completly went into that gear

Very hard to explain, never had anything like this happen
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    If the mech moves but the chain doesn't change chainring it possibloy just needs reindexed or the limit screws adjusted or both
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Can you move the der by hand (when cables are slack)?
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • getprg
    getprg Posts: 245
    Hmmmmm - not sure you should fiddle with limit screws just yet! Riding the bike and changing gears should not spoil/change limit screw positions. I'm a roadie but here are some things I would check first:

Is the changer band on or braze on? Band on might (repeat might) have slipped - but this would be unusual unless it has been forced somehow or not fitted properly.

You say the front changer moves when you move the lever - but how far? Push lever to change up to biggest ring - can you still manually push the front cage further across to shift chain? Similarly when using lever to change down to granny ring - can you still push cage further across to shift chain? If you can do this - is the change stiff and does the chain remain on the new rings?

If you can shift rings by moving cage manually then limit screws are fine. Problem is then likely to be cable related - probably worn, kinked or frayed at some point - a replacement should fix it. It may possibly be a lever problem but I can't really help there - cos like I say I'm a roadie. :)
  • getprg
    getprg Posts: 245
    One other thought is that the front mech is just dirty and stiff and so is no longer giving full range of movement. Usually a good scrub clean (you can use wd40 to free it off but make sure you wash thoroughly afterwards and then apply good quality oil) will fix it and restore normal movement.
  • Anonymous
    Or maybe the screw that holds the rear end of it together has rattled loose causing the cage to deform instead of pushing the chain.
  • canada16
    Just had the bike built, and is only 2 weeks in.

The front mech is new, when I press the gears lever, it moves the front mech, but is about 1 mm away from touching the chain. pressed the other lever and the rear mech clicked as well. It just does not want to push the chain to the top ring.

I might have to try after work, but really in a rush to get home, so might have to ride with it as is... If it will, as it only happened outside work. I heard a big click, then that was it.

Thanks guys.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sudden click could be cable too loose and slipped a bit.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Forgive me but it just sounds like it needs reindexed for one reason or another. Give it a go and report back.
  • canada16
    Sorted I just adjusted the levers a touch, as the gears got stuck somehow.

Seems ok, but needs a service..

Thanks for your help guys, feel like a tool :oops: