How to roll suit trousers in my bag

timmyflash
timmyflash Posts: 526
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
Starting to commute into work. I can leave my jacket on the back of my chair, but need to take my trousers home really.

I wrapped them round my towel on the way in last week and looked fine other end. But towel was damp on the way back, so creased to the max by the time i was home.

Top tips for suit trousers in a backpack?
Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh

Comments

• eyko
    eyko Posts: 68
    Are you taking you trousers home daily? You sure you just can't leave them over the back of your chair as well? I do that with mine no problems.

As for rolling in a backpack, I just give mine a light roll, add them just before I leave and have them at the top of the backpack with nothing on top. Always look fine for work.
    FCN 7
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Roll just one trouser leg up, normally the right?
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • Its good to have a spare pair of trousers left in the office anyway in case of problems with a pair you take in (or forget to take in and don't realise until you are at work with only bib shorts to wear at your desk... unless it's comic relief it's a difficult look to pull off ;-)

I would just keep a carrier bag under your desk and fold up your trousers at the end of each day... stick them in the bag and leave them under your desk.
  • timmyflash
    All this concern about my trousers and i forget my shower gel.

Scrubed as hard as possible with water but to no avail. I feel gross... I'm pretty sure i don't smell, but greasy to the max. Oh my god.... Not looking forward to donning the kit that's been stewing in the damp under my desk all day.

I really need to get to grips with the logistics of this.

Fixeh
  • I always find I can't remember everything every day.

A plastic bag under my desk with everything like deodorant, shower gel, some wet wipes, hair gel etc, things I'm going to use every time I cycle in... along with a spare set of clothes in case the ones I'm carrying get wet or I forget them etc.... indespensable.
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    Leave your trousers at work - it's the only crease free option.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I generally do OK just rolling stuff loosely and making sure it isn't getting crushed by anything else in the bag.
  • timmyflash
    Ahhh, the 'loose roll', that might be the key..

Might also find an out of the way coat stand. Cheers all.

Fixeh
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I leave mine at work but rolled up in a bag in a locker. I use one of those plastic bags you get when you have your suit cleaned. Hang them over a hanger inside the bag then fold in three.

Been doing that for a couple of years and works fine
    FCN = 4
  • Furbes
    Furbes Posts: 289
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    I leave mine at work but rolled up in a bag in a locker. I use one of those plastic bags you get when you have your suit cleaned. Hang them over a hanger inside the bag then fold in three.

Been doing that for a couple of years and works fine
    Exactly what i do , works a treat! :wink:
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    If you've got room, then an Eagle Creek Pack It Folder IMHO works perfectly for trousers and shirts:

http://www.penrithsurvival.com/penrith_ ... id/1707909

Rufus.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I tend to find mine are ok if i roll them carefully and make sure they arent all scruntched up in the bag then any creases usually fall out in an hour or two anyway! although i'm not renound for my smartness so maybe take 'ok' with a pinch of salt!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    while on the subject, work shirts? how do you guys fold them into a normal backpack going into work? i always seem to have a horribly creased shirt :roll:
  • fatherted
    fatherted Posts: 199
    re trousers ....... leave them at work AND have a 2nd pair to use when you put the others in the dry cleaners IF you have one nearby.

re shirts .... fold as if you were "repackaging" them. Then roll.

When at work , give the shirt a good shake then put the open neck under the hand drier whilst holding the gathered up bottom of the shirt and ends of sleeves with the other hand.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    shirts I lay it flat on the ground, fold teh sleeves in each side and then fold then over again each side to meet in the middle. then roll from bottom to the collar.

come out absolutley fine. Tyrwhitt non-irons are the biz.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    I actually fold everything up properly, then hang em up whilst i have a shower...usually comes out ok! :)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    u05harrisb wrote:
    while on the subject, work shirts? how do you guys fold them into a normal backpack going into work? i always seem to have a horribly creased shirt :roll:

I've got an A4-ish sized peice of cardboard, (the bottom of a shoebox I think) I fold the shirt around that, in the same way that they're packed when you buy them. So the chest and collar (the bits you see through a buttoned jacket) are flat and unfolded. Everything else is folded behind but kept flat, so there might be a line, but it's not a crunpled mess.

Then I put it in the biggest (black) one of these: Alpkit Mission Pack. It keeps the shirt flat and protects it, and so far it's worked really well.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • eyko
    Mainly just a light roll, then put at the top of my bag, on top of the trousers if I have to take them in too.

Get to work and they look just like the did when they went in the bag. Although this might have something to do with my skill with a iron, more than anything else...
    FCN 7
  • mrobbie
    mrobbie Posts: 64
    As others have said; I keep a suit jacket on the back of my chair, and have a pair of trousers and the usual toiletries (shower gel, deoderant, hair gel) in a locker (would keep at my desk, but luckilly have a locker here)

Then I just have shirt, socks, shoes, belt and towel etc to take in each day. Need to get a 2nd pair of black shoes as would then leave a pair at work too - that would make the back pack a bit lighter... I don't cycle every day so need shoes at the house in case I take the tube.
    Quite addicted to cycling now....
  • I'm with Bails87 on this one. Except I fold my shirt around my MBUK/MBR for a lunchtime read too!

Lay your magazine on the shirt in a landscape orientation just below the collar
    Fold the arms inwards at their seams
    Fold in shirt from the sides again over the magazine
    Fold bottom of the shirt up to meet the bottom of the magazine
    Fold again over the magazine then fold the collar down over the top.
    Hey presto - very little creasing, well protected at the visible parts across your chest (although I generally don't wear a jacket around the office and still don't have crease problems) and any small creases I do get shaken out within half an hour.

I do recommend folding your shirt in the morning before you leave and not leaving in your bag overnight though. Also, I ride with panniers which have a nice rigid backing to them which stops flex. You may want something more rigid than a magazine if you are sporting a ruckie. Bails87's recommendation for a piece of heavy cardboard might be better for this.
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    eyko wrote:
    Are you taking you trousers home daily? You sure you just can't leave them over the back of your chair as well? I do that with mine no problems.

As for rolling in a backpack, I just give mine a light roll, add them just before I leave and have them at the top of the backpack with nothing on top. Always look fine for work.

Nice one thanks for that :!: I am new and will start work week after. I too wear a suit and plan to leave my jacket in the server room (I am the it manager so no one can argue with me :twisted: ) but I hadn't thought of the trousers. The shirt I have to change every day - got a backpack but I am worried about folding it.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • eyko
    How long is the ride? If it isn't long, a loosely rolled shirt should be fine at the top of a rucksack.

If that doesn't work I think some people drive in once a week to take in a full change of clothing.
    FCN 7
  • whitestar1
    eyko wrote:
    How long is the ride? If it isn't long, a loosely rolled shirt should be fine at the top of a rucksack.

If that doesn't work I think some people drive in once a week to take in a full change of clothing.

First day 4.4 miles. Heavy bag with tools/shoes/clothes/first aid. Shirt was folded and rolled along with the trousers. Weren't too bad really. Left the shoes and trousers on site.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • whitestar1
    Hi All
    So its my third day at work. 4.45 miles in 24 minutes (Sigma BC906). Started off on Tuesday with heavy bag and that was 30 minutes. So some improvement. I am feeling the burn in the front muscles above the knees, but its slight. So far my daily shirt I fold similar to armoureddrummer instructions but without a mag. I have in the laptop section of my backpack. Not much in creases and after a short time of wearing they are all gone.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • I need my car for work so take it in on Monday morning with the bike, suit, 4 shirts etc and leave them in my office. Each day just have to remember the basics, which is fairly simple as I'm wearing them, and hey presto - crumpled free work wear! Then on Friday afternoon take everything home in the car.

The only difficulty is that there are no showers in work, so after the 12 mile commute I have to make do with wet wipes....not ideal but working out OK so far..

Good luck!

Dave
    Ragley mmmBop
    Yeti 575
  • whitestar1
    Finished my first week! Dead tired though. A number of workers are asking me about sweat. I find that taking it easy the last mile and the proper clothes allows me not to be sweaty. I do have a problem - My wife is now complaining about the two set of clothes she now has to wash. Got to keep her happy or else in the dog house!
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011