Fort William Trail Advice

Andywilliams89
Andywilliams89 Posts: 22
edited April 2011 in Routes
I'm off to Fort William with my gf next week for 4 days. Going to be able to get one ride in so just wanted some advice where I should go? I'm a novice, usually ride gisburn, whinlatter and grizedale on my ht.

Seen the Nevis red but heard it's more like a black so not sure it's within my ability... Are the witches trails any good? Thanks!
Boardman HT Pro

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm off to Fort William with my gf next week for 4 days. Going to be able to get one ride in
    Must, resist :lol:

GAH, I can't.

Ok then, how much are you going to be riding your bike?
  • Gibbo GTI
    Gibbo GTI Posts: 98
    Seen the Nevis red but heard it's more like a black so not sure it's within my ability... Are the witches trails any good? Thanks!

I have ridden the Witch's World Champs trail and I am very much a novice but nothing that couldn't be tackled with caution in places. I have only ridden trails in Scotland at the mo so I can't comment on any difference between the reds trails up here and anywhere else. It is definately worth doing whilst you are there. The Broomstick Blue makes for a good warm up before doing the World Champs trail.
    GT Force Carbon Expert
    Carrera Fury
  • darren555
    darren555 Posts: 194
    I'm off to Fort William with my gf next week for 4 days. Going to be able to get one ride in

GAH, I can't.

:lol:
  • lg18
    lg18 Posts: 92
    Bear in mind that some parts of the Witch's Trails are multi-use, including dog walkers. I had assumed they were dedicated/exclusive MTB routes, and had a terrible experience at the bottom part of the Blue route last year where an extremely aggressive and out-of-control dog chased me very fast and for an alarmingly long way and very nearly got me. It completely ruined the day, and I was too exhausted from the long uphill sprint to do any more routes that day (all I could do was have cake and tea in the cafe, shaking!). When I brougth up the issue with the people at the centre they just shrugged and said, yeah, dog walkers are allowed on some parts. Completely incompatible and ridiculous. Take a big stick with you!

Lucy
  • Anonymous
    Isn;t there a right to roam everywhere in Scotland, which means you cannot actually tell walkers to fark off (and likewise, they can;t shout at us?)
  • Wildhighlander
    Wildhighlander Posts: 49
    edited April 2011
    The Witch's Trails are fine, something you should enjoy. The downhill at the top is a good blast, and it gets a wee bit techy further down, but nothing to worry yourself about - all fun. Like others here, I've encountered some dog walkers here and there, but fortunately never had any bother.
    Don't think you'll get to do the Nevis Red as the gondola is only open to bikes for uplift during the summer.

Summer = I week in May usually. :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Out of interest, do you know for sure when the gondola is open for bikes? I fancy making a trip up there.
  • First day for bikes this year is May 7th. Not sure how long it stays open for, I'd guess until end of Septemberish.

http://bike.nevisrange.co.uk/

And if you do get to Fort Bill - Laggan Wolftrax is only an hour further north and not to be missed.
  • Anonymous
    Great, thanks. I was thinking of going up to wtch the world cup, then sticking around for a week to get some DH, and some epic wilderness riding in.
    Beautiful part of the world.
  • lg18
    lg18 Posts: 92
    Isn;t there a right to roam everywhere in Scotland...?)
    Not really - that's a common misconception. "Right to roam" is the English/Welsh (?) terminology for within those yellow areas on the OS maps. In Scotland there are rights to RESPONSIBLE access in most (but not all) rural areas, although there a several exemptions, e.g. no right to camp in a national nature reserve during bird breeding season (which is covered by "responsible access" anyway as it's irresponsible and illegal to disturb wildlife). Responsible includes lots of obvious things, including keeping dogs on leads or under very close control - it certainly doesn't include letting your dog chase sheep, wildlife and especially people. Some of the other dedicated MTB trails I've used in Scotland (e.g. Glen Tress) appear to not allow walkers on the MTB trails - there are pictures of a walker with a strike-through. Not sure if that's a legal thing, or a "responsible" thing, or just plain common sense as you'd be mad to walk your children and dogs up the black run (or red or any other) at these places (although, strangely, on a fast descent I did come across a family walking their black lab up a fast, steep section of the Glen Tress Red, having ignored the "no walkers" sign!).

Anyway, that wasn't the point of my previous post - just a warning on the Witch's blue to watch out for walkers and dogs and not assume it's MTBs only as I did!

Lucy
  • Anonymous
    Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't referring to "right to roam" as a campaign, or whatever it is, I literally was referring to "A" right to roam. Turns out I was mistaken anyway though, lol.

I'm almost certain I remember one of the Glentress locals explaining that they couldn't actually ban walkers from the trails, but they could make them aware that it was stupid and dangerous to be there.
  • I'm off to Fort William with my gf next week for 4 days. Going to be able to get one ride in

GAH, I can't.

Haha, very good! Didn't even realise what I'd wrote.

Prob looking to spend around 4-5 hours on the bike, or at least that's what I can get away with!

Am I right in thinking I couldn't ride the Nevis Red even if I wanted to because the gondola isn't open to bikes yet?
    Boardman HT Pro
  • First day for bikes this year is May 7th. Not sure how long it stays open for, I'd guess until end of Septemberish.

http://bike.nevisrange.co.uk/

Yup. :wink:
  • Lizzie77
    Lizzie77 Posts: 53
    Witches trail( World Champ) is a must. Ive done it on HT and full Suss and its fine for either. Good down hill and some techy stuff but nothing major at all. We go up there every year at least twice and do the nevis red and world champs. As someone else said the other witches trails are good for a blast round.

8th May to the 15th sept for the uplift for the red and black. Ive done the red many times and it isnt a red, its harsh and defo more like a black in many places. Bloody good though

enjoy:)
    Specialized XC Comp
    Specialized Pitch Pro
  • andrewyzfr6
    andrewyzfr6 Posts: 194
    I echo the general sentament that the Nevis Red is more a black, but i enjoy it(and the world cup downhill) hughly! Ive done the "red" run on a 5 and a scott scale(ht) and both been excellent. But.... a couple of my friends who usually enjoy red routes, detest this one, and find it too technical and tough for them.
    The witches trails are good for spending a few hours on, And are good whatever the weather.
    As said it isnt far to Wolftrax, where the upper red is a great flowing run, and when completed can be looped to the lower (?) red which will be a great way to spend a few hours.
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr