Tell me about your day

chrischris1315
chrischris1315 Posts: 135
edited April 2011 in MTB general
I want to know if you went riding today and if you've got any stories or tales of fantastic rides you've been on recently or are planning for the near future.

I had an amazing ride today, just got the bike back from the shop and it feels like a dream, nothing broke (thank god) and it all just clicked into place and I really pushed myself.

Best Regards

Chris
GT Zaskar mmmmm yummy!

Comments

• you dont wanna know the kind of day i had....

it consisted of throwing up and emptying my stomach every 2 minutes :(

sorry to be so blunt :D
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • how long you had that for?
    GT Zaskar mmmmm yummy!
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Over to the in-laws for tea and cakes:
    ToGraffham04042011-1-1.jpg
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    I managed a trip to Cannock Chase on Saturday, and what a great day I had!

The Dog is such an awesome trail, i loved it. Aside of the fire road climb it was the perfect mix of ups and downs, technical and fast, was brilliant.

The Monkey was a bit beyond me, The climbs were OK, if a little tight on the corners sometimes, but the downs were terrifying. Managed to warp my discs by riding on the brakes too much :oops: . If I were a good rider I bet that is an awesome trail, but for a rider who has little confidence in corners it was a bit too much. Still, good practise for next time.

Met loads of cool people, got riding a bit with 2 guys one from Isle of Man, both where top guys, and all other people we got talking to were sound. Just goes to show no matter what skill level you're at, most people in this game are kind and helpful, says a lot considering my other past times tend to be the total opposite.

Sunday I ended up having a boris bike adventure which was a good laugh!
  • how long you had that for?
    horrible stomach today but still havent needed the urge to go to the toilet

only started yesterday morning! but ive been ill for 6 weeks now :(
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Was gonna go today but the wearther and the pub have convinced me not to, its a little grey and the wind is getting crazy.
    And I love the Dog and Monkey at Cannock, I found the joints in my hands really began to hurt when I was riding them last, obviously holding on to tight.

Regards

Chris
    GT Zaskar mmmmm yummy!
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Went down the Afan on Sat to ride the Wall. Been suffering with a bad cold all week and I thought I was over it, but before I'd even crossed the valley floor over the the long fireroad climb I could feel my lungs were full of gunk and coldn't breath through my nose properly. was actually over the moon to see the diversion at the top and instead of heading right following the diversion went left towards the benches.

met a few lads starting the next singletrack section that sounded like they were from afar, gave them a decent headstart and managed to catch them back up by the big rock garden thing, but that was down to local knowledge rather than ability.

Had a look at the 4X track, reunitied a rider with a Camelbak he'd left behind (good Karma points) and headed down the last decent, had a good one but the little climbs turned me insideout. Nearly wept at the thought of the boring fireroad ride back to the centre, went home and felt like shit for the rest of the weekend.

Woe is me ha ha.

Hoping for better things this weekend!
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Eyon wrote:

The Dog is such an awesome trail, i loved it. Aside of the fire road climb it was the perfect mix of ups and downs, technical and fast, was brilliant.

The Monkey was a bit beyond me, The climbs were OK, if a little tight on the corners sometimes, but the downs were terrifying. Managed to warp my discs by riding on the brakes too much :oops: . If I were a good rider I bet that is an awesome trail, but for a rider who has little confidence in corners it was a bit too much. Still, good practise for next time.

I do love Cannock Chase and the fire road climb is a challenge but in a good way.
    The Monkey Trail is also fantastic, I've seen some serious offs there, especially in the Rock Garden area where riders have braked and lost it, it's so damned slippery there from the dust on the rocks
    The route down is a thriller for sure, but I find the uphill climb across the railway line an absolute killer

Sadly I had to go to Bristol and that didn't involve lugging a bike along
  • Last time I did the Monkey I managed the first two rock gardens fine, floated them and got some speed of them however I came zinging into the third one (the one I normally walk) and went for it, turned out I wasn't up to the challenge and had to jump of my bike half way down and jumped onto one of the tree's and clung on to stop myself falling down the steep hill to the left of the path.
    When my mate came along shortly after to see me hanging by this tree he didn't half laugh :/ , however Karma got him back when on a flat section he went head over wheels and faceplanted the trail, his imprint may still be there :D . . . . Oh what it is to have friends :-)

Regards

Chris
    GT Zaskar mmmmm yummy!
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    I did parallel univers at llandegla on sat. Good times!

Train was cancelled on the way to work this morning so I had to walk home from the station as the wife takes the car to work, then get changed and cycle 22miles in with a headwind all the way. Bad times
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I do love Cannock Chase and the fire road climb is a challenge but in a good way.
    The Monkey Trail is also fantastic, I've seen some serious offs there, especially in the Rock Garden area where riders have braked and lost it, it's so damned slippery there from the dust on the rocks
    The route down is a thriller for sure, but I find the uphill climb across the railway line an absolute killer

That fireroad climb back from the monkey to FTD that just gets boring and is pointless?

I've just given up on doing that one, gets so boring. As you go past that house on the right there's a sort of little anti bike gate thingy that leads up a little track up the hill. Just ride/push up that because it's annoyingly steep, get to the top and a little track to the left leads back to the split point for FTD and the monkey, not hard to miss as you can see the big signs, takes about 2 minutes to get there. Then I either ride first that monkey section again or do the little bit of FTD. Found it's quicker than just going up the fireroad too.
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    Eyon wrote:

Fire road climb is OK, I tend to sit and spin, get up there, pass out from exhaustion, then eventually carry on. By the end of the day I was walking some of the climbs, so I could enjoy the downs more, only to find the downs on the monkey are not enjoyable for my skill level! Shoulda stuck them climbs out really :D

I think its the concept of falling off which made me so slow/walk on the harder parts. Coming from Essex hills are forign and unpractised to me,, and even though Cannock isnt on a mountain, its still shit loads higher than Im used to, so I see a drop at the edge of the trail and think, oh fuck, thats a long way down!

Still a real enjoyable day though