Shock pump pressure - Weight

mattblue
mattblue Posts: 88
edited April 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

Could someone advise the recommended pressure for front suspension when it comes to weight ?

I have a boardman pro HT 2010.

Cheers

Matt
Boardman pro ht 2010

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what every is needed to give the sag you want.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    Doesn't your shock have a sticker on it detailing the pressure for the weight of the rider?

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • mattblue
    nicklouse wrote:

Sorry as a total novice and being quite a big chap i dont really want to break things...and sag ??...again total newbie sorry
    Boardman pro ht 2010
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    mattblue wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Sorry as a total novice and being quite a big chap i dont really want to break things...and sag ??...again total newbie sorry
    Sag is the amount that the suspension moves when you're on the bike, in your normal riding gear, in your normal riding position.

Set the pressure so that you use around 25% of the fork or shock's travel as sag.
  • mattblue
    Thanks for the tip re sticker - just checked and said i should set to 135 as im over 200lbs in weight...just need to buy a shock pump now

Cheers again
    Boardman pro ht 2010
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited April 2011
    Don't rely on the sticker - set the sag on the bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mattblue
    So use 25% of 135 ?
    Boardman pro ht 2010
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    no.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    25% of the travel.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If the travel is 120mm, you want it to sag (sink) about 30mm when you sit on the bike in your normal gear. Fiddle with the pressure until it does.
    Easy way to gauge it is to wrap a small cable tie around the stanchion. Slide it all the way down, get on the bike gently, get in your normal (attack position per SS) get off without moving the forks any more, and see where the cable tie has ended up. Add or release air as necessary.
    Easier to do if you have someone to hold the bike for you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    Your fork will have a red rubber band on it. Push the band down to the fork seals. Pump the fork up to the pressure on the label (you'll probably have top and bottom air chambers) as this will be a good starting point. Then sit on the bike and the fork will compress with your weight. Get off and the you'll see the rubber band now marks the amount the fork compressed. This is your sag - i.e. the amount of travel with your weight only. You want this sag to be about 25% of the total fork travel. Adjust air pressures accordingly to achieve this.
    Also, download the manual from the RockShox website. Also have a look at YouTube, as there are plenty of videos there showing you this.
    Also, set the top and bottom pressures the same for now, until you're skilled enough to need something different. I'm finding having them both at the same pressure is fine for me.

Edit: I've just looked up the specs and you have a "RockShox Reba Race, 100mm travel,
    Motion Control damping, external floodgate & lockout". Therefore, dual air.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.